JWW, Rosa's Guardians story

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Wed Jan 12 20:50:04 CET 1994

Don Rosa wrote:
> 	So, they use the JWW emblem in Holland!?!?! Wow!

Well, not frequently. I think I saw some of your stories here where the
emblem wasn't changed. I don't recall if they did that in Barks stories,
I'll look it up at home.

> Can you find out when/if they plan to use that Library story? They need
> so much to use the American version!

I think they wait until they can get a Danish or German version. They do
most of the time... Will a German version also include the changes?

> 	Also, Harry, when I said that the only two publishers who seem
> to care about the material is the Norwegian and American editors... but
> Oberon is usually right out of my mind since all my business is between
> Gladstone and all those Egmont places. Obviously, Oberon publishes the
> best looking Disney comics in Europe, and I'd like to think they have
> as much care with the contents.

I always thought that too, but they are not very good in translating the
texts. E.g. in one of your Lo$ stories, Chisel McSue is mentioned. The
Dutch translation is Chisel McSue. While in all Dutch translations of
the Barks U$ story, the guy is called McSchobbejak. Does that mean they
didn't recognize him? I don't know.

The Dutch have the policy to never re-translate or re-colour a Disney
story when it has been done before, after 1973. I tried to have some damaged
Barks stories re-lettered from a CBL copy, but they said that would co$t
too much.

> But let's see if they'll be interested in my offer
> of improving their use of the Lost Library story free of charge as I'm
> doing for Gladstone. That might prove their concern. Please check with
> your editor-buddy!

My guess is that they would only use the changed art if they can copy it
directly from a German or other version.

But I'll ask Jos Beekman if I can get through to him.

--Harry.