Various and Sundry

Gary Leach 73633.152 at CompuServe.COM
Sat Jan 15 20:35:35 CET 1994

Whoo! Lotsa things to handle, here at the outset. I'm trying at the moment to
answer a few things as best I can remember at the moment, so this ain't
gospel...

"Plumber's Helper" was deemed, during the original Gladstone run, as rather
long, with not much of a story, as such, more like a series of amusing
vignettes. We simply proceeded then to other things more suitable for comic
books.

"Foreign Legion" was about to be published, with brand new covers by Daan
Jippes (future associate, if not boss, of Bob Foster), when Disney pulled our
plug on that one. Time may have changed perceptions a bit at Disney since, but
my impression so far is that "Foreign Legion" would be even less acceptable
now (considering the "Aladdin" video fiasco). Ah, well...

IN relation to that, and not brought up in this venue yet, is our recent
publications of a series of Al Taliaferro strips that originally included the
first-ever appearance of Huey, Dewey and Louie in the comic strip. Many have
written to us concerning this heinous omission, and our answer is...Yes,
folks, that strip is on the Disney Index! It was deemed too violent in its
reference to the nephews blowing up their father. No one will be seeing that
strip in an American Disney comic until a true seachange in social attitudes
occurs.

MATTIAS:
Your request for some of Don's material is something we'd be glad to do. The
problem is, you'll have to have an incredible amount of patience. We're in a
constant state of scrambling to just get done what has to be done in a day,
and simply can't get to such things on anything other than an infrequent and
haphazard basis. Drop us a line in the regular paper/envelope/stamp mail,
addressed to either myself or John, and we'll do our best.

ANDREW:
Sorry you're hacked off about our repeating Gottfredson. That material lost us
the most money of any when we originally published it, so we're trying to
lessen the economic blow by giving them a fresh presentation in our new line.
WE also feel that much of this material deserves a second chance with the
vastly improved production values we can now give it, especially with
coloring.

Frankly, guys, Mickey is comic book poison in America. The only reason we're
trying to keep him in there is because we don't want him to be forgotten. As
far as the American comic book market at large seems to feel about it (since
the early '80s, anyway), no tears would be shed if he was. The very small but
very loyal Mickey comic book following out there is suffering greatly right
now, and I'm very much afraid that is not going to change in the near future.
I envy Marv Wolfman and the recent new Mickey material he's been able to
publish in Disney Adventures; seems as though every time Gladstone tries to
get a new Mickey idea going, Disney blows its nose on it...

If anyone out there can shed any light on why Disney so likes to beat up on
American Disney comic books-even those their own comic book division tried to
produce-please do!

Well, before I go spinning off on any other tirades, I shall close.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent...
GARY