Two-bits worth on bits'n'pieces

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Mon Jan 17 14:32:24 CET 1994

Y'ALL:

      here are a few contributions to the discussions of the last few days:

YUSSUF AIPER, f'rinstance. No, I don't think it's supposed to mean
"viper/marihuana-smoker", because although this is indeed "correct" 20's/30's
slang, the word was probably not in common usage at that time, but still a
code-word among users and hipsters -- otherwise I seriously doubt that e.g. Cab
Calloway and other jazz-musicians of the time could have gotten away with
titles like "Viper's Drag" and similar. (Not to mention "The Boy in the Boat"
by, I think, Charlie Johnson's Paradise Ten -- a title I'd blush to
translate! Or, maybe I wouldn't  blush; but neither the general public nor
record company executives would/could have been hip to the meaning of that'n
at the time). Anyway, couldn't "Yussuf Aiper" be pronounced more like "Jes' a
viper"??? Jes' an idear... and "viper" meaning snake -- and no libidinous
overtones to be inferred to that snake, either!

GARY:

     IF there turns out to be cause for a more formal request, you will get it
in the regular mail, and probably from Hemmets Journal, or at least from Stefan
Dios. Who, by the way, is reputed to have been the subject of an article in one
of Sweden's WORSE tabloids last Friday! I haven't had time to check it up, but
sure will...

SOME MORE GOSSIP:

                 Greger Nass`n, NAFS(k) treasurer (sic!!!), didn't exactly make
a fool of himself on Jeopardy, but a rather SUBSTANTIAL amount of money!!! Well,
well, well... that ought to take care of NAFS(k) finances for a while...

AND SPEAKING OF TABLOIDS:

                         I've gotten a copy each of "Aftonbladet" for Don and
Harry, as per promise. Your Duck Family Tree, Don, is displayed across two
pages, accompanied by a (SIC!!!) well-researched, well-informed, well-written
and well-intended article! I MIGHT, just might, get around to posting a
translation for you on the list, but no promise.

Uh-oh! Coffee-break is up! Back to the old grinder...

Mattias