The never ending story of Grandma and her relatives

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Wed Jan 19 09:44:43 CET 1994

Don:
> 	I understand the problem GP (that's what I can call Oberon now?)

Yep. It's easier than their full name, "De Geillustreerde Pers".

> would have with my Family Tree. We probably covered this already... but
> what are the last names that are used in the Netherlands for $crooge and
> Grandma???

Duck and Duck. Like in Germany.

> In America, $crooge's last name is (of course) McDuck, so he
> MUST be from Donald's MOTHER'S side of the family. And Grandma's last
> name is Duck, so she MUST be from Donald's FATHER'S side.

I don't understand this. If Grandma's name is Duck, can't this be the name
of her husband? Her maiden's name then could be McDuck. How do you write
or say the name of a married woman?
For example (to name just an orbitrary example 8-):

1. S. Daigle-Leach
2. Mrs. Leach
3. S. Daigle
4. S. Leach-Daigle
5. S. Leach

Forms 4 and 5 are normal in Holland. Is this impossible in English?
Not that it matters Duckwise. Grandma must be "Duck-Duck" in Holland. That's
no problem, I have two members of my family who are "Fluks-Fluks".

--Harry.