Disney cartoon status on tape/disc

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Thu Jan 20 01:44:10 CET 1994

	Dear Folks,

	Andrew Krieg said, "Off the top of my head, I also remember
racial sterotypes (don't forget to include Indians and Mexicans) in
"African Diary", "Californy 'er Bust", "For Whom the Bulls Toil",
"Tea for Two Hundred"."

	In "African Diary" Goofy travels through the jungle with black
safari members, but their blackness is shown by drawing them *just*
like Goofy but with brown snouts whereas his is pink.  No stereotypes
there.  You could make a case for a "behavioral" stereotype in how
Goofy's black "first mate" runs like sixty when a black rhinoceros is
encountered, but Goofy is the first to run!  What's more, the "first
mate" doesn't speak in stereotypical dialect, but in Goofy-speech.

	"Californy or Bust" might be seen as stereotypical in its use
of the Indians-vs-settlers scenario, but this really existed... the
Indians in this cartoon look very Goofylike, BTW, and don't speak at
all, either.  I believe the term "Injuns" may be used, but I'm not
sure now -- since Disney went through their Indian cartoons in 1991
and redubbed *every* such reference to "Indians."  (That's what was
done to "The Legend of Coyote Rock," BTW.)

	"For Whom the Bulls Toil" -- Yeah, if I remember right, the
crowd in the bullring is drawn stereotypically.

	"Tea for Two Hundred" -- nope.  Only in "Uncle Donald's Ants"
are the ants stereotyped, speaking in Southern dialect and with one
resembling Stepin Fetchit (which is what they cut out now).  In this
other film they look similar, but the Stepin Fetchit ant isn't in it,
and they don't talk quite the same way.

	I now remember another one.  1930's "Pioneer Days" is
stereotypical... not in its use of the very real Indians-vs-settlers
situation, but in how it portrays the Indians as drooling,
bloodthirsty, sharp-toothed maniacs.  This one is cut on both TV *AND*
VIDEO, but I think it's because it was cut for re-release much
earlier.  I don't know if any original prints EXIST, but the end originally
had MM and Minnie impersonating cavalry officers, which scares the
Indians into the distance.  In the truncated print that was on TV from
1983-1992 (and is now not on TV) and is on the MM laser disc set now,
the story ends when Mickey, captured by an Indian and wrestling with
him, is saved by Minnie.

	BTW, the wrestling match with the Indian and Minnie's rescue
of Mickey was replicated EXACTLY in the 1931 "MM and the Gypsies"
Gottfredson story, which is... ALSO banned.

	Yours,

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>