Various things

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Fri Jan 21 04:29:56 CET 1994

	Hi, Folks!

	Don Rosa on censorship
	======================

"By the way (and this is for everyone here) -- something you need
to remember about this Disney censoring business. Aside from the fact
they have no interest in the comics, there's another reason why they
MUST find stuff to censor. There are people whose job it is is to look
at the comics and find stuff to be ordered removed. If they DON'T FIND
something that needs to be removed, they are eliminating their own jobs!
They don't want the comics to seem like they don't NEED editting... they
MUST find something that they can save America from seeing so that they
have a reason to be employed."

	But... but... you told us this a few weeks ago, didn't you?
Anyway, isn't it Russell Schroeder who's in charge of approving stuff?
He used to draw Gladstone covers, so it's a safe bet that telling
Gladstone what comics don't happen to be favorites of his isn't his
only job.

	The Big Bad Jewish Wolf
	=======================

	Mattias:  "One censored cartoon that you didn't list is the
original "Three Little Pigs", where, as far as I've heard, one scene
was censored and re-animated (for then rather obvious reasons)
already in the 40's -- the one, where in present prints the Big Bad
Wolf disguises himself as the Fuller Brush Man ("I work mah way
through college!"), was I believe originally a scene in which BBW
dresses up as the traditional stereotypical jewish peddlar, and puts
on a traditional stereotypical jiddisch accent. I've never seen this
sequence, but the cut is perfectly obvious, not least from the
differing styles of animation."

	Actually, Mattias, I believe this was only redubbed, not
reanimated -- or if there was new animation done, it certainly isn't
from the part where the wolf speaks.  In the print I've seen the
wolf's voice on the soundtrack says:

	"I'm the Fuller Brush Man.  I work me way through college!"

	Whereas the wolf's LIPS on the SCREEN say:

	"I'm the Fuller Brush Man.  I .. [??] .. a free semple."

	I once saw a 1933 Disney book of TLP and this was the line the
Wolf had in this sequence.  His costume in even the earliest Disney
book versions for this scene looks just as it does in the rerelease --
leading me to believe that this scene was not reanimated, but that a
CUT was made in the action -- presumably the wolf shrugged or did some
other stereotyped "Jewish" gesture, which was removed -- and the
animation is original aside from that.

	I'm Jewish myself, and perhaps the cartoon I'd like to own the
most is the original version of "The Three Little Pigs."

	Joseph Walker's DD 50 Years of Happy Frustration

	This book was made by Justin Knowles in 1984 for DD's 50th
birthday, and produced in Britain.  I believe that Another Rainbow had
something to do with it, because they were listed as importers, or
something, for the book in Books in Print!  (Though there was no
notification of AR in the book itself)  Meanwhile, back in Britain,
the first few thousand printed copies were set aside for later sales
as a limited edition.

	Disney Publishing went about this sale in 1992, making new
slipcases for the books (which had been since imported), and having
William Van Horn do a picture of the Duck Family to package with it.
There's something that's not in our list... BTW this is a JOKE, not a
real "family tree" because it's just a picture of the Ducks --
including Flintheart and Magica -- sitting in a tree in a posed shot.
The ducks are in no real "age-grouped" order either.

	BTW I think this is Van Horn's BEST Duck drawing of all time.

	Now for the other stuff that you mentioned... I don't mean to
be picky, but it sounds like the three notes, presumably to Bruce
Hamilton and Justin Knowles, REALLY ARE from Barks, Hannah, and yes,
Nash!  This sounds like this was a PRESENTATION copy put together in
England which never was sent out and got mixed up with the copies that
were used for the limited edition!

	If the signatures seem real on these letters, it's a fair bet.
This could be "worth" over $1000 to drooling collectors.

	This bears looking into... just don't expect me to do it since
I don't know where to begin!

	Your friend,

	David (Don't get your hopes up!)
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>