From RoC

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen lrn at daimi.aau.dk
Thu Jan 27 16:03:00 CET 1994

First my burning question: The Disney newspaper strips. How many/which
are/were there? Who do them now? When did they run? "Pluto the Pup"?
And if Bob "Moose" Foster is at Egmont, who writes the DD daily?
Gary, can you reveal a little more about the Jippes/Foster team-up?
Would it by chance mean that Jippes is going to draw *comics* again?

Norwegian DD had an interesting supplementary issue this week: "MM -
An Education for Thursday"! Yes, only in Scandinavia: home of the brave,
land of the free! The back cover credited Floyd Gottfredson and Merrill
de Maris and had notes on and dates of the Thursday/Friday trilogy. The
catch was that it was a photographic copy of the 1953 Norwegian 32 page
version of OS 268, credited in various "Carl Barks & Co."s to both Floyd
G. and Paul Murry(!). Looks all Wright to me...

Now for something completely different: some comments to two weeks' old
messages in chronological order:

 Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994  From: David
>As for MM in the Foreign Legion, there's an Arab villain,
>Yussuf Aiper (is there a pun there?  I CAN'T find it!)
In the raging debate, noone ever suggested "Just a viper."
Or, if Gottfredson ever did that, a takeoff on some contemporary
celebrity named Joseph. My best shot is Josephine Baker, but still...

 Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994  From: Harry
>This is THE best Jippes story ever made.
>[...]
>The story was reprinted in the first Gladstone WDC issue. I'm surprised
>it hasn't been printed before in Norway, but maybe this is a REprint?
I'm still trying to get hold of all those first Gladstones, so I wasn't
aware that it had ever been printed outside Holland. I most definitely
don't think it ever has in Denmark, and probably not in Norway either.

>BTW: One of the Danish pocket books seems to have a cover by Ulrich Schroeder,
>based on a sketch by Barks. It shows Donald and the nephews slicing a pie.
It's Danish Jumbo Book #57. And it's more like a cake.

Today @ means an 'a-with-a-dash-on-it' (accent aigu). Doggone ASCII.

>The Treasure Chest stories were the first subject I ever put on this list.
>I think we concluded then that Kabatek _wrote_ the stories. In the album
>about Scotland, there is an introductory text about "the editor who went
>to Scotland", meaning Kabatek. So it's likely he wrote the stories (and most
>of the others.)
Thanks, just checked our 'back issues'. I didn't know that Scottish story.

>> INTERVIEW with MARCO ROTA from CARL BARKS & CO. #20
>> (translated from Danish by Ole Reichstein in January 1994)
>
>Thank you very much!
>It seems our short summary of Rota stories was quite complete ("quite" in
>the Van-Horn-list sense of the word 8-).
How could you tell? I *did* leave out an index of Danish publications of
his works, because we knew all those. I almost think he *got* them here!
Excavations in my sources have unearthed some "new" ones:
AAnd Ekstra   6/1974: 15 p. S-2108  [DD, the swimmer&the sleep machine]
Onkel Joakim  4/1977: 21 p. I-877   [MM, the phony hairdresser] (?)
Onkel Joakim 20/1983: 20 p. S-75087 [DD, the golden egg]
Mickey Mouse  1/1990: 30 p. I-1636a [U$, survivor of the swamps]
Also covers on Jumbo book #s 53, 54, 56, 59, 60, 61, 66 and 79.
Swedish versions may have the same numbers, so feel free to argue.

>> Marco Rota was born on September 18.th 1942 in Milan. He did his first
>> professional job at the age of 16, but it would take another 13 years
>> before he had his first Disney story published. It was "Topolino e la
>> tigre col fiocco" from June 6.th 1971 in Topolino #10.
>
>Can someone translate this title?
I first intended to do so with all the Italian titles, but as this one
came out as 'The Bearded Tiger' I reconsidered.

BTW: The latest MM serial in Dutch DD is not too bad, eh?

 Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994  From: Mattias
>Subject: A quiz for Ole!
>Ole Reichstein wanted a hard quiz, 'cause he claims he cheats! Well, Ole,
>here's one that's short'n'sweet:
>What is the habitat of the Gnoof?
>Hmm?
If you mean Freddy Milton's Gnuff, it's Norregade 13. If not, I give up.

 Date: Sat, 15 Jan 1994  From: David
>        Rota on Gottfredson
>
>        I'LL SAY!!  I'm surprised Rota praised Murry early in his
>interview, when he later had the guts (which I applaud) to say a thing
>like this -- and also to criticize those who made Mickey "a detective
>who worked almost mechanically with the police".
You'll be interested to know, that the only regular regular MM title
in Denmark, MM pocket, which incidentally is indistinguishable from the
other monthly pocket filled with I codes, Uncle Scrooge, has been dis-
continued. It has however been replaced with the title Mickey Mysteries.
Quoting by memory from the advert: "Mickey has gone full-time detective
to give you stories the way you like them: exciting!" The stories are
Danish coded, but have a strong Italian flavor. Mickey is a Humphrey
Bogart type, and Minnie is an anchor-mouse on a TV network!
Is this an example of Egmont's hardliner 'back to basics' approach???

>        ROC described
>
>        a new Finnish DD which included 27 pages of Dutch stories,
>including the same 10-page Jippes which was in WDC&S 511, and also a
>Mau Heymans story.  Am I meant to take it that the Heymans one is 17
>pages long?  If not, what is the third story?  And is either the
>Heymans story or the other one worthy of reprint here, BTW?
Nah, it's only 13 pages and not too interesting:
Donald and the kids want to go to the zoo, but it's closed. The owner,
Scrooge of course, claims it has to show a profit. HD&L suggest he finds
an animal, so rare that it will attract customers. ("I had a crowd-
pleaser like that once, a *unicorn*! But then the papers started writing
that it was just a horse!") Scrooge send them to the Himalayas to
capture a yeti. They find his cave, and the dwellers are a short, hairy
creature with big feet and his wife and kid. Donald must pick one to
abduct (why can't he take them all?), but prefers a closed zoo to an
unhappy yeti family so they return empty-handed. Scrooge figures from
the photos that someone could dress up like a yeti. Someone short with
big feet. Someone who owes him for a trip to the Himalayas...
The last 4 pages is a Beagle Boys story, and not interesting at all.

>        I-1948, MM as Court Troubador
>
>        I've forgotten who mentioned this story and where it appeared,
>but it was described as being a MM story where Mickey went to the
>studio -- as he does in "The Brave Little Tailor" and "The Robinson
>Crusoe Adventure" -- to make a film, and made one about being in
>medieval times.  In the story, he was shown with pie-eyes, so this
>would seem to be based on the 1933 cartoon "Ye Olden Days".  I'd like
>to know more about this and how I might obtain it.
It was I, and it is a 38 page story in 3 strip format. The 11 page frame
story (in color) could be skipped without any problems. The splash page
shows a 'photo' of a pop-up book, so the story is probably inspired by
a classic toon, even if the plot is quite complex compared to those.
If you want it, ask your friends at Egmont for a copy of Onkel Joakim
(Uncle Scrooge pocket) #14/1993.

Just bought a bunch of Gladstone's MMs: I'm a born again mickeymaniac:)

<oLe 'RoC' Reichstein Nielsen, c/o Lasse 'Spot' R.N. (lrn at daimi.aau.dk)>