Cowboy song and Ancient Mariner

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Tue Jul 5 03:58:15 CEST 1994

Knut had two questions:

> 1. Anyone here know about a story called the Ancient Mariner, beeing used as
> a basis for a Barks story?

That's WDC 312, "The Not-So-Ancient Mariner".
The poem Donald recites the last lines of (which wins him a free
cruise) is "The Ancient Mariner" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

> 2. In the story where DD becomes a song writer, provoking avalanches by
> playing his song on a jukebox in a hotel at the bottom of a valley, what are
> the original lyrics?

That's WDC 137 and the lyrics are

	Oh, bury me thar
	with my battered git-tar
	A-screamin' my heart out fer yew

As you can see it differs a lot from the Norwegian translation.
The Swedish translation(s) are very much like the Norwegian, though,
as is the Danish one!  (I hadn't seen the Norwegian before.)  I think
the first Swedish translator often translated from Danish instead of
the original Swedish, and this is one of the things that support that
belief.

> and in Finland (from Ari P K Korhonen, who came up with this question on
> rec.arts.disney):

Hmm, why is this Ari not on our list?
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at minsk.docs.uu.se
 "The Screaming Cowboy?  I'm to put in the nickel and run for my life!
  Who wouldn't?"