Disney-comics digest #257.

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Thu Mar 3 10:08:22 CET 1994

Wrote David: "Which reminds me:  Mattias Hallin's quote, 'Come up and see me
sometime!  >HIC!<  Come up and see me sometime!  >HIC!<" is from the
1943 T&J cartoon "Mouse Trouble,' in which Tom sets out a wind-up Mae
West mouse to lure Jerry, then accidentally swallows it..."

...yup! Thass right! But whut abaht mah other quote: "If yer ever down in
Texas, look me up!", then??? Eh...?

Anyway, your comments on T&J vs Tex Avery was on-the-nail, I'd say. It might be
added that Avery's department and that of Hanna-Barbera, at MGM, were
constantly trying to overdo one another, which rather explains the sometime a
bit overwhelming escalation of speed, violence and extreme gags that is evident
throughout both series as they develop in the late forties and early fifties...

Oh, and BTW -- there is at least ONE Disney connection connected with the Avery
cartoons: the girl was, or so I believe, animated by Disney employee Preston
Blair, who did a MAGNIFICENT job, at that -- especially since I think shes
"straight" animation, not animated from live film!

Sorry 'bout the detour, folks -- but that's all! (Saa faar I icke mer foer den
25-oere")

Mattias