"Don't Call Me Tut!" review

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Thu Mar 10 04:53:18 CET 1994

	Dear Folks,

	The following is a tentative version of a letter I plan to
send to DOUBLETALK letter column about "Don't Call Me Tut."  I thought
you folks would like to see what I have to say.  I'm hoping this
doesn't sound too critical.

	* * * * *

	Dear Gary [Gabner],

	I find "Don't Call Me Tut" to be inferior to "A Very Goofy
Midas."  Set beside the former story, it seems to duplicate
many aspects:  Goofy has a very abnormal temper in both of the
stories, cruelly ordering his various underlings around, and in both
tales we have Pete threatening Goofy (last time, Pete wanted to
actually make hamburger out of him, and this time it's feeding him to
the crocodiles).  Here both of these aspects are more obvious, because
Goofy spends more time angry and Pete has less justification for his
rage.

	I was shocked to hear a character, after receiving a blow with
a heavy chunk of rock, comment that because he was a "cartoon person,"
it was impossible for him to be hurt.  This is perhaps the most
revealing indication of what it is in this writer's attitude that
bothers me.  He treats the characters as toons, not as living, breathing
characters.  I lost much of my respect for the writer when that comment
appeared.  It shows that the silliness in the story is due to the
writer's view that the characters didn't deserve serious treatment.
It was another reason why the story, appearing in conjunction with the
superb Barks story this issue, will give "green" readers the idea that
compared with the Ducks, Mickey is very childish and inadequate.

	"Don't Call Me Tut" is also not really the kind of story that
works well as a serial.  Very little had happened by the time Chapter
One ended.  If Gladstone really plans to run (at least) two more of
these stories in future, I suggest that they switch their schedule a
bit and put the stories complete in 64-page issues, as in D&M 20 --
not broken over three regular issues.  Either that or cut the stories
to 2 parts -- like when Disney Comics printed "Goofy Frankenstein" in
GOOFY ADVENTURES.  Disney scissored twenty pages, making what would
have been meandering and strung-out in three parts much funnier in two.

	I'm sorry to give such harsh criticism.  Please note that in
general, I love Gladstone's comics.  But D&M needs to improve, and can
do so by usually using its Mickey section for foreign Mouse tales and
Gottfredson Sunday strips.

	Sincerely,

	David Gerstein

	* * * * *

	[End of the proposed letter to DOUBLETALK]

	BTW, "Goofy Frankenstein" shows some resemblance to "Midas"
and "Tut."  G. F. has an ugly Igor following him around who he can
make uncharacteristic smart remarks to.  He is frequently threatened
by his monster and by the townsfolk for his deeds, and each time he
tries to blame the deeds on Mickey and Igor...

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>