Disney-comics digest #279.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Mon Mar 28 16:24:55 CEST 1994

CENTER OF EARTH STORY:
	It would hardly do for the Ducks to decide to go to the center
of the Earth and then never get there. They even knew better than to
carry that idea from the Verne book over to the 1959 movie, and let
James Mason reach the center, even though even at age 8 I couldn't
figure out how the center of the earth could be situated on the surface
of a body of water. But if the Ducks didn't reach the center, readers
would feel cheated and sore and rightfully so.
	I'll get them there somehow, with Wilmer Rivers' help. The
reason for going won't be "great riches"; I don't like for that to be
the motive for every single $crooge adventure, even if the roots of the
situation are based in his search for more moolah. And I'll find some
explanation for the existance of a tube through the turbulent liquid
outer core; it will be preposterous, but at least have a solid basis in
science -- which is a far cry from anything you'd see in those insulting
super-hero comics.