Disney-comics digest #321.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Sat May 7 04:55:42 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	James Williams asked me:

	"David -- When you write a story for Egmont, aren't you
writing a full script?  If so, how much control does the artist
actually have over the comic?  Do they simply follow the script or are
they able to make changes where they think appropriate?  Do you even
talk to the artist?"

	The artist can make minor changes where he thinks appropriate.
For example, I just got my first script back in comic form, as drawn
by Daniel Branca.  I had accidentally had two close-ups of Scrooge on
one page, one a line above the other.  Mr. Branca made one of them
into a regular, medium shot (he chose the better one to do that with,
to, IMHO).
	Once in a while, the artist takes real license.  In one scene,
Magica De Spell came dashing through a room "by the astonished ducks,"
as I said (or something like that).  Mr. Branca thought it was an even
better idea for her to dash directly *over* the sitting Scrooge,
knocking him to the floor on his face with a splat.  Great -- I love
it!  I don't mind that kind of change... I wish I'd thought of it!

	But Mr. Branca is an experienced artist.  I don't know how
"greener" artists view their rights over a script.  My first Mickey
script is going to Noel Van Horn (William Van Horn's son), who
recently started for Egmont as a Mickey artist.  He's still developing
his Mouse, so I was encouraged to actually submit a model sheet of how
I imagined Mickey being drawn in the story.  If any of you
Euro-readers have the 1939 "Robinson Crusoe" story, that's the one I
was thinking of when I drew up the model sheet... modern eyes, but
pie-cut pupils in them.

	Best,

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>