RE Digest #320

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Sun May 8 20:29:57 CEST 1994

DON:

	I checked with Stefan Dios -- he says that Lo$ 12 isn't so much cancelled
as postponed. It seems that certain editors at the SWEDISH Egmont branch,
Serieforlaget, don't pertickerly care for your work, in pertickler dey don'
pertickerly care for Lo$ nor for the 60th birthday story. The latter actually HAS
been cancelled altogether for publication in Sweden, but Stefan says his editors
says they DO intend to publish Lo$ 12 here in Seden, too -- only they're waitin'
for winter "since it's set at Christmas"; for whatever that argument is worth. So
what they do is break their SCHEDULE for publishing Lo$.

It seems their main reasons for disliking your work has nothing whatever to do
with your particular kinda art, but rather that they feel you're aiming too high,
beyond the severly limited intellectual capacaities of the poor little kiddies.
That I think this so much hogwash, I shouldn't have to point out, I hope?! I've
yet to meet a kid who liked being treated like an imbecille, or even worse, being
TALKED DOWN TO by an adult, not to mention by the so-called childrens
entertainment that same adult is using as a pry-bar to make the kid part with that
week's allowance.

Actually I think it's just exactly the other way round -- lit. hist. proves
beyond doubt that almost all children's entertainment that lasted beyond last
morning's bowl of Oatsie-Woatsies was of the kind that WAS/IS too deep for that
selfsame kid to fathom entirely, and that does hold entertainment and/or other
values even to adults who didn't grow up on it (the entertainment I mean -- not
the Oatsie-Woatsies!!!).

Anyway, also the Swedish publication of Lo$ 11 ended with the caption "To be
continued" -- or words to that effect. So I don't think there's reason to panic
just yet!

All my best!

Mattias

!==============================================================================!
!* Mattias Hallin ** <Mattias.Hallin at Jurenh.lu.se> ** Phone: +46 46-14 84 43 **!
!* Trollebergsvagen 24 B ***** Work: Lund University, Box 117, S-221 00 Lund **!
!* S-222 29 Lund, SWEDEN **************************** Phone: +46 46-10 71 37 **!

!Mattias Hallin                      Phone: +46 (0)46-107137 (am)        !
!Juridiska enheten                          +46 (0)46-109709 (pm)        !
!Lund University                       Fax: +46 (0)46-104232             !
!Box 117, S-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN     e-mail: <Mattias.Hallin at Jurenh.lu.se>!