Some news from Michel Nadorp

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon May 9 10:16:35 CEST 1994

I met Michel Nadorp by coincidence in a comic shop last saturday.
When I told him my name, he recognised me as "the guy who likes the
Rosa stories". Could I be the only one? 8-)

We discussed a few things, which I'll summarise here.
Michel Nadorp is a Dutch artist, who works closely with the Dutch Disney
editors. Sometimes he inks Jippes work and he has done a few stories
of his own, but mostly he designs and draws the covers of the Dutch
Disney publications.
("Michel" is pronounced like in the Beatles song.)

New Barks story
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Barks script (we talked about it before) has been drawn by Van Horn now.
It has a title like "Changing History" or so, and only the first (splash)
panel is about the Trojan Horse. Michel had read the story in pencil form,
and he will publish the first panel in his column in the Dutch fanzine
Stripschrift.
It may take a few months before Egmont publishes the story, and a few more
months before some other publisher will...

Covers
~~~~~~
Michel wasn't pleased that Don Rosa copied his concept of the cover of Life
Of Scrooge 2, without mentioning it in the credits. He admits that he himself
copies other people's ideas, but at least there are no credits given to
him...
Michel also was surprised about the lack of accuracy at Gladstone's. They
credited one of his covers to Ben Verhagen.

The WDC cover on "MM in Sky Island" was changed by Disney. Michel originally
meant the island and the characters to be much bigger, but Disney put a lot
of clouds around it, making the original picture smaller.

Nadorp meets Rosa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don: Michel says he met you once in San Diego. Do you remember him?

He also met Bob Foster there, and that's how he was asked to do some
covers for Disney Comics. But when Foster became Seidman, and Seidman
became Palomino, he lost contact...

Life of Scrooge (Lo$) in Holland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Lo$ stories will still be backup stories in the next DD Extras: Michel
and Wilma van den Bosch already made the covers and there's no Lo$ cover
among them. Michel thinks the Lo$ is considered one big serial, and that
that's why the newer parts are not the lead stories. (It is usual to
put only the first part of a serial in the front of a comic.)

Donald's 2000th story
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ole "RoC" said:
> (The Flux Soap ad is there, but there's only one Donald. Really.)

The Flux Soap ad is one one of the 1-page panels, while I was talking about
another 1-page panel, where Donald appears twice. It's the panel where
the Ducks and a lot of familiar persons have a banquet. In fact, Geir (and
some other Norwegians, I guess: it was a contest in Norway) tried to
identify all the persons on that panel, and we wondered if *all* the
characters could be identified.
I asked Michel about this, but he didn't know. He said is was possible
though that Mau Heymans (the artist of that story) put some non-existing
people on the panel.

--Harry.