From RoC

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen lrn at daimi.aau.dk
Sun May 29 20:13:27 CEST 1994

 Tryg:
=======
>I don't know how "Lasse" is pronounced, but it looks very similar to
>"Lassie," the dog from the book "Lassie, Come Home!"  Since "Spot" is a
>common English name for a dog, I just put the two together... :)
 I also thought it was a dogs name, from "Slaughterhouse 5".
>Thanks for filling me in on this mystery--I have certainly LeaRNed
>mORe thaN I bargained for.  Now I have to figure out how to draw myself
>in ASCII...
 Try g.

 Harry:
========
ME> Quiz
ME> ----
ME> 2) Has Donald Duck #1/1948 - the first Norwegian Donald book - been
ME>    reprinted more than one time?
>
>The Dutch once published an article with the covers of all kinds of foreign
>Disney magazines. The Scandinavian ones were all first issues or 'facsimiles'
>of first issues. On the Norwegian first issue, a text was written:
>
>        "Congratulations on your world record. Carl Barks"
>
>Which world record was he referring to?
 And which facsimile of a first issue had Barks' name on it?

>Well, in the near future we will have something that looks remotely similar:
>a program that can be called like "DIZNIREP W RT" and then will list all
>stories written and/or drawn by RT for editor Western, with all the USA
>reprints listed.
 A command line based program with 8 letters in it's name,
I like your program better and better:)
>I almost could have produced your list, except for two "minor" things:
>
>1. The program DIZNIREP has a few bugs (it's too slow and lists too much)
>2. I don't have all the data in the database. Crone and Gladstone data
>   is included, but I still don't have that @#$% Becattini index 8-(
 When I get it from Fabio, I can copy it for you, if you haven't got
anything to type in the summer holidays.

>Matena's Vikings
>[...]
>Story 3: album 1979!, reprinted 1988. The reprint album was only in German,
>        Danish and Finnish (not even in Dutch). This is "The Son of the Sun"
>Story 4: first published in a comic magazine in 1989. Album reprint (German
>        only) in 1991. "The Iron Lady"
 So "The Iron Lady" is drawn 10 years later again? Is it BTW political?
And those titles are coincidental unless Don has read more than just
Asterix and Tintin as I suspect.

 David:
========
>        Okay, it's official.  Riley Thompson is my least favorite Duck
>artist.  Out of EVERYONE.  That Italian guy included, who drew the
>pocket book intermezzos!!  (Fabio, I've lost his name again...)
 Guiseppe Perego.  (Hi Fabio, we've discussed a price in dollars, but
of course you'll want Lire, right? And I'll consider you Santa Claus:)
And thanks to all the contributors on this Micky-Mouse-PC-or-BC
discussion, I'll just add that "MM and his Talking Dog" (11/18-11/30,
1946) looks like it's going to be the first longer FG story - more than
a page - in Danish DD in a very long time.

 Don:
======
>        Yes, I received the Whitmans you sent, last Thursday I think it
>was. It takes me a few days to find myself heading into town (from out
>here in the country) to the post office, but when I do I will send you a
>set of CAPTAIN KENTUCKYs by airmail. I assume I should sign them? Or do
>you want them "clean".
 I'm gonna read'em, not eat'em! Please sign and color them, and feel free
to fill in all the details you like:)

 Sigurdur:
===========
>My friend came up with an interesting point. According to Rosa's Duck
>family tree, Gladstone is not in linear descent from Scrooge and therefore
>should not be eligable for inheritance. Puts a new twist on all these
>"Which is going to inherit my fortune" stories from Disney.
 Can you name any lineary descedents from Scrooge?
But actually you have a point; Donald and his sister Della are the
only children of Scrooge's only sister to have children (Hortensia?)
Della then had HD&L, which accounts for 4 of the possible heirs.
Why she is not among them is unknown, and why Gladstone, son of a sister
to Scrooge's sisters husband is, while Feathry, son of a brother to
Hortensia's husband, is not, is yet-to-be-revealed.

 Which should guide you in answering the last QUESTIONs in the Norwegian
weekly DD's Jubilee Competition (I'll just recap the first):

 1) Has both Carl Barks and Don Rosa done a Donald Duck story, where
    part of the action takes place in Norway?
 2) Has Donald Duck #1/1948 - the first Norwegian Donald book - been
    reprinted more than one time?
 3) Has Donald's dog, Bolivar, had the same name ever since he appeared
    in the March 1949 issue of Donald?
 4) Is Grandma Duck a grandchild to Cornelius Coot?
 5) Is the Phantom Blot 60 years old this year.
 6) Does Donald have more than one cousin?
 7) Has more than 2000 Donald books been published in Norway_

The number of YES and NOs in the 7 answers should be sent before June
9.th to: DONALD DUCK & Co
         Postboks 1548 Vika
         0117 Oslo
         Norway
        (marked "jubileumskonkurranse")
You can win a genuine Barks lithography ("Blizzard Tonight")
My "official guess" is 5 yes, and 2 no, though it's tricky.

 Also in Norwegian DD #22:
 Lo$ part XII, "The Hermit on the Manor"
The coloring and printing is superb, even ROSEBUD shows.
Does this story take place on Christmas Day, 1947? The Danish editors
have been carefully editing out references to specific years, and I've
got this theory about Don's perpetual 1955 universe, that the stories
happen in causal realtime BEFORE that date (and before the infinite
multiverse implosion).
 A Donald pin in durable plastic and gold. Last issue had the poster
from "The Wise Little Hen" and next issue will have the story itself
in a supplementary issue, and "The Duck Who Never Was" and the start
of a "Darkest Africa" serial and a DD scrap book with stickers and...

On page 30 of Danish AA&Co. #21/94:

"Comic creator Carl Barks comes to Denmark!

The most famous creator of Donald Duck comics is without question the
American Carl Barks. So what's more natural than to let Donald meet
Carl Barks on his birthday?!
That's why Carl Barks comes to Denmark on June the 9.th to celebrate
Donald - and it is no less than a sensation! Carl Barks has never
actually been outside the borders of America before. But now he has
agreed to go on a longer European "birthday tour", where he arrives
in Denmark on the very day!
Did we forget to mention that Carl Barks is 93 years old...

 Lots of Carl Barks stories in Anders And & Co.

Of course we'll celebrate Donald Duck's birthday - and Carl Barks'
visit in Denmark - with some of Carl Barks' very best stories.
Almost every story from his hand is today a classic, so you've got
something to look forward to!
Here is a summary of the Carl Barks stories, which will appear in
coming issues:

* The Exciting Duel of the Hang Gliders ("Hang Gliders be Hanged!")

* In Dark Africa ("Darkest Africa") - a 3 part serial. Has never been
  published before!

* Who Goes into the Trap? ("The Mighty Trapper")

* Brilliant - But in Vain! ("Canon Ball")

* The Condemnation Expert ("Master Wrecker")

 Do you want to know more about Carl Barks? Then look forward to Anders
And & Co. nr. 23 - the big birthday issue - where we'll tell more about
this fantastic comic creator!"

... competition on opposing page:

"Who is Carl Barks? A) a famous movie star or B) a famous comic creator.

<oLe 'RoC' Reichstein Nielsen, c/o Lasse 'Spot' R.N. (lrn at daimi.aau.dk)>