LO?12

bjorn-are.davidsen@s.televerket.tele.no bjorn-are.davidsen at s.televerket.tele.no
Tue May 31 10:20:12 CEST 1994

Don!

After having read Lo$12 I just have to unlurk myself!
Congratulations on your well done project! Of course
not everyone will agree with your overall vision of
Scrooge's life, especially regarding his retirement
and return to business and adventure. Personally I
think it really does solve a lot of problems related to
Barks introduction and later elaborations on Scrooge,
when he decided to use him in more than one story,
gradually building up the mythology of his past.

Barks' use of Scrooge in "Christmas on Bear
Mountain" was after all not due to a lot of
consideration of his past or present. That only came
later and made CoBM somewhat of a problem (is
analomy the right word?) chronicling Scrooge's past,
concidering his present in the fifties and sixties.
However, I  think you managed to solve much of the
problem!

I also liked your presentation of Citizen Duck! That
may be lost on the kids (or perhaps American kids
will understand), but is another example of how you
give additional value and reading joy to us more
grey haired readers.

Even if I think Lo$10 is the very best of the series,
the final chapter had it's great moments! I liked very
much the beginning, the part where they enter the bin
for the first time, and the ending looking backward
and forward at the same time.

I think I'll have to read it once or twice more to get
the proper perspective, but I think one difficulty is
that the reader (if this is not the first Scrooge story
one read) knows too much in advance. The content in
Scrooges money bin is no surprise. That is a plot
problem when you make it one of the climaxes of the
story. The Beagle Boys was not very cleverly
disguised (they never are). It was also no surprise
that Scrooge would beat them, which he even did
a bit too easily.

Another thing which disturbs me somewhat is that
Scrooge is a bit too different from the way Barks
drew him in CoBM.  I guess that is a problem when
you try to be consistent to your own (and Barks'
later) way of drawing Scrooge, but it didn't quite
seem right (I do not know if I have any clever
solutions to that problem!).

However, do not misunderstand! The final part of Lo$
was well done and overall very satisfying!

Bjorn Are