Donald Duck & Co #45

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Tue Nov 8 23:53:28 CET 1994

Donald Duck & Co #45
--------------------
This one is dedicated to the Junior Woodchucks.
No JW stories in the regular issue, but there are three stories
in the "extra" issue which is coming with it. Also a new "collection
series" starts with this issue. The Junior Woodchucks' guidebook...

The issue starts with a newspaper strip with Donald (Taliaferro).

The lead story is a DD story where Daisy threatens him to learn to
control his anger (did I hear: I've read that story!). It's one of
the better, anyway. Instead of going to some school, Donald is going
to some far away place called Himmelturia (that's a Norwegian pun on
Himalaya), to find an old man living by himself. This man is never
angry. Well, he _is_ when Donald leaves him.
    The art is by Vicar. 10 pages. (D93520)

Next is a Mickey Mouse story. 8 pages.
    This story makes Murry's mouse look like a mouse with a very
complex personality.
    Mickey and Goofy are living at a farm instead of at a hotel. In
the first night all the hens disappear, to Goofy's big grief. He
wanted eggs to the breakfast. The rest of the story is, of course,
about  finding them. Mickey is not the usual clever guy, who finds the
solution at once. He solves the problem by a mistake, and goofs up
other things. He's taking Goofy's role. Interesting? Not at all.
Also the art is really bad. (D93477)

Then a Big Bad Wolf story. You won't see this in the US. All the kids
in the forest, including the Little Bad Wolf, the pigs and Br'er Bears
sons, are disguised as indians. Zeke Wolf also dresses up as an indian
to catch the pigs, as part of the game, as he says. Not too bad actually,
but I don't like the art. And the colouring is awful.
5 pages. (D93168)

Then starts a new continuation story. It's about Scrooge and Donald in
an Arabian country. They are there to open the new McDuck dam, which
wil make this little kingdom into as wealthy country. An arkeologist
wants to stop the project of filling the valley with water, because
there are big treasures hidden there. Scrooge is interested, but the
prime minister pushes the button, and fills the valley with water.
They will then have to use under water equipment. For some reason, the
prime minister doesn't seem to like these plans.
    First part is promising. The art is by Branca. (D93326)

Last is a one page gag with Pluto (KF 4.30.39)

The Extra issue
---------------
I thought we would see one of the Barks/Jippes stories her, but not so.

The first one is a JW story (they're all JW stories) by Barks. This
shouldn't need to be described, as it was published in Donald Duck #287.
The story is "The Chickadee Challenge". (W/WDC 181 A).
Strange... I hadn't noticed that before... The story code in DD #287 is
removed.

The next two stories are both drawn by Vicar.

The first one is one of the stories were Donald is telling the nephews
that when he was young, he was a member of a club consisting of much
tougher people than the Junior Woodchucks. Of course Donald didn't even
pass the test to become a member. The end of the story is a bit surprising
though, as Donald, trying to escape from being seen by a leader from the
club he claims to have been a member of, actually does a lot of things
that impress everyone. That means that Donald actually is the winner this
time. 10 pages. (D7914).

The last story is one of my favourites when it comes to the Junior
Woodchucks. The art is excellent, and also the story.
   Huey, Dewey and Louie is going to a summer camp with the Junior
Woodchucks. When they are ready to go, Donald comes and tells them that
their cousin Sokrates is going with them. Sokrates looks like a miniature
version of Gus Goose, with glasses. He's a very educated kid, but
physically he's very weak. The nephews aren't too happy about this, but
since it's a matter of honour to help handicapped people, they agree in
letting him come with them. Sokrates is carrying a lot of books, which
the nephews eventually have to carry, since Sokrates is becoming too tired.
    To make it short: Sokrates is messing up everything for HDL. They lose
every contest, because of him.
    Then one of the teams, and also the leader is stranding on an island
in the middle of the river. The stream was too dangerous for paddling in
canoes. HDL are standing safely on land, because they were delayed by
Sokrates. Now Sokrates is replacing the Guidebook in the rescue mission,
and becomes the great hero. He earns a lot of medals.
    10 pages. (D7436)
David, if you are looking for good Egmont stories, you should try this one!

On the back cover is an article about the Junior Woodchucks, but as usual
with the articles in DD&Co, it's quite uninteresting. Few references, and
only to Norwegian issues (in a story from 1951 bla bla bla).

The front cover of the Extra issue shows a small animal falling in love
with a JW hat.

   Jorgen