Disney-comics digest #486.

Dave Rawson Dave.Rawson at salata.com
Wed Nov 9 13:38:46 CET 1994

On 8 Nov 94 disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se wrote:

 d>       That crabby
 d>       chicken-fellow is named Red O'Ruckus, and I like that
 d>       name so much, I might use the character in one of my own
 d>       Duck stories (if it's okay with you, Dave).

S'okay with me.  Fun actually, if you sustain and develop the
character which certainly sounds like your intent.

 d>       Red O'Ruckus seems to complain about damn near EVERYTHING.

Yeah, we modeled him after Bob Foster! :)

(Jus' kiddin'...) Each of the characters has a kind of comedia del
arte monomaniacal characteristic associated with them.  Believe it or
not, Night of the Iguana was an influence here.

 d> Glad you're on board, Dave!

 Thanks, David!  Hello all!  Hello, Don!

 d> Can you tell us about some of your Mickey tales?

Likely, but the question is a little broad for my dimly focused
mind.  Ask me something specific to help me through my existential
fog. :)

 d>      I can see why
 d>      they might be peeved that they spent years learning to
 d>      draw this Disney "style", and then my stories gain this
 d>      odd popularity simply because (it's my theory) I DON'T
 d>      draw in that Disney style.

It sets you apart, but in my opinion, so does your fine sense of
storytelling.  You work hard to make things appear effortless.  Your
use of parallel activity to set up a gag sequence in the background
of a run of panels is _lots_ of extra creative effort that only
someone who _likes_ doing it would go to such trouble for.

As a humble writer, I feel insulted when I hear someone slight your
art when your storytelling is so clear.  As you know, to me that is
the real goal of storytelling -- the story.  Everything serves the
story.  I'm not sure why this concept meets with such hostility.  To
me it seems an unambiguous given.  To others it seems unfathomable
heresy.

| Bahia del Sur de los Angeles   (o-o)                            |