A name of a different gender...

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Fri Nov 11 01:46:32 CET 1994

>Don was wondering if my  name is actually Beverly.  I'm saddened to report
>that that is indeed my name.  My full name is Beverly David Keddy.

Bev:

Perhaps your name is one of those that was orginally used as a male name,
but changed in usage over the years.  In North America we have a lot of
names that were male names in Great Britian, but somehow chnaged gender when
crossing the ocean.  You mentioned Leslie for one, then there's Tracey,
Stacey, and the more recently popular Ashley to name a few.  And, of
course, there are many names used both ways.

My brother is named 'Jan' which is Scandinavian and pronounced 'yawn'; it
confuses the heck out of most English speaking folks who think it is short
for Janet or Janice.  To steer just a smidgen back on topic, the name
'Bambi' seems to be assigned exclusively to females even though the Bambi
of the Disney story was a male.  Strange!

Anyhow, welcome to the list!

Tryg

Tryg Helseth  <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>   Minneapolis, MN, USA
          or  <tryg.helseth at tstation.mn.org>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!"  -the Beach Drakes