Hmmm... Various, again.

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Wed Nov 16 01:01:00 CET 1994

Mickey Mystery
--------------
Dave: I'm looking forward to see your story, The Stamp Act.
    I agree. The level of detail in these stories is delightful.
Of course the story is the most important part of the comic,
but without good art it's difficult to really enjoy the story.
    In a lot of stories, especially from Egmont, but also Italian
stories, the art just fits the story somehow, but doesn't really
play a part of the story. It's just some kind of illustrations
to the text. On the oposite hand are the comics where the art and
story is _one_ thing. In my opinion, the details are really
important. If the artist weren't very much inpired when he drew the
story, you can't expect the reader to enjoy it.
    That's what I like about these Mickey stories. There's a lot of
work put into them.

It seems to me that Byron Erickson is doing a very good job. So is
Jan Erik Soland, the Norwegian editor. At least, the Norwegian
Disney publications have become a lot better the last few years.

Apropos Italian stories. There's a very good gag story in the latest
Onkel Skrue (Uncle Scrooge), which reprints Italian stories (digest
sized, about 100 pages). This story (I-2001) must be one of the longest
gag stories I've ever read - 30 pages. It's about Mickey (he's sitting
at a cafe, telling Minnie the story) and an alien who can transform
into anything but himself. He's looking for the right fuel, to get
enough energy for the transformation. For some reason he trusts Mickey,
and Mickey will help him find it. The alien doesn't know what it's
called in Mickey's language. A lot of funny situations appears, because
Mickey seems to be talking to nobody:

Clarabelle: What are you doing Mickey? Talking to the radio?
Radio (alien): Why shouldn't he? It would be unpolite of him if he
               didn't.
Mickey: Er... it's a new program...

And when the alien are talking, people believe it's Mickey (reminds me
about some Barks and Taliaferro stories including parrots...) :

Radio: Why's that hopeless guy using so much time?
Goldsmith: I beg your pardon? Are you talking to me?
Mickey: Me? Oh no! I haven't opended my mouth!
Goldsmith: Hmm... I understand.

Recordplayer (alien): Hey, constable! We are in a hurry! Speed up
                      your arms!
Mickey: Don't look at me. _I_ haven't said anything.
Constable: Hmm...
Recordplayer: What a snail!

Later the alien transform into a car (after Mickey crashed his own,
because he was distracted by the alien). At first he lets Mickey have
control over it (him), but later he takes over the control.
"Traffic signs? What's traffic signs?". Hmm... the car looks like a
Ferrari Dino. Of course, it's an Italian story :)
At last the alien transform into himself. His shape is _very_ familiar.

Hog Haid Moe and Ellsworth (no connection)
Fredrik:
>Always check the interlingual file first.
Yes, I know, but for some reason (I don't remember. It was probably a
server which went down on this side) I couldn't reach it. Didn't have
a copy either. But I have used it earlier, so your work on it is
certainly appreciated :)
    I've also always had the impression that he (Hog Haid Moe) is a human,
at least in relation to the ducks, but he doesn't look much like the peple
in the Scamp stories.

I think I read a story with Ellsworth, if this Italian bird _is_
Ellsworth, quite recently, which might mean that it's in one of the
newest books, which again means that I could have it here in Oslo.
    I don't remember much more about the Olympic Games in Seoul story
than that I've read it once. I think it's in Donald Pocket #eighty.something.
    There's also one Pocketbook dedicated to the Olympic Games in 1984,
BTW. San Francisco, wasn't it?

Lucifer
-------
The cat in the GD story is certainly Lucifer. He's very vell drawn, and
so are the mice, but whoever did the coloring, he/she didn't realize it
was Lucifer.

Duck Tales etc.
---------------
Augie: I don't think there are more than two episodes in the Swedish
program. The last time I saw it, it included one episode of Darkwing
Duck and something with Goofy and Peg Leg Pete. Though the latter was
quite stupid, it didn't even come close to the Darkwing Duck. After
what I've heard about the US, it doesn't surprise me that he's popular
over there.

Huh? What's this? I just got a bounce mail. I sent that mail two weeks
ago!, and now it returns...

   Jorgen
            "Microphone? I think it looks more like a calculator."