Vic Lockman + note for Don Ault

9475609@arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 12:30:32 CET 1994

      Dear Folks,

      Harry asked why, given Vic Lockman's level of quality, he was
chosen to do new stories by Gladstone.  Well, it's simple -- he came to
Gladstone and ASKED to write new stories.  "But we have no regular
artists," they said.  "Then I'll draw them," he said.  This is what John
Clark explained at the San Diego Comic Con panel last summer.

      MANY Disney comic fans who've been increasingly vocal in the
letter columns in the past few years -- folks like Kevin Kuffa, Fritz
Baugh, Joe Torcivia, Cris Barat, etc. -- have applauded the new Lockman
stories.  When I've talked to some of them, it appears to be just
because they're glad to see someone from the old days still hanging in
there.  For me, that's not a criteria in judging comics.  But I can't
argue when it's a criteria for others.  When I've met with some of these
same comic fans, I've enjoyed talking with them greatly and found that
on most other issues, they see completely eye-to-eye with me (and many
of our members, too).  You go figure.
      (Note:  I'd like to get some of these same fans in our E-Mail
group, but last time I spoke with them, they didn't have E-Mail.)

      Back to Lockman:  I think that John Clark may not care much for
his work either, but Lockman has seniority.  What I mean is, I think
Gladstone wouldn't want to offend someone who has found acceptance by
all other Disney comic publishers of the past.  Even Gladstone
themselves have reprinted many of his 1950s stories.  And you can bet
Disney would approve his art, because he uses those 1970s models for the
characters which, for Disney, are the official ones.  (That's right --
I've seen the "official" model sheets for DD, US, and HDL.  They are
dated 1971 and are drawn by Tony Strobl.)

      I don't think Lockman's writing is all bad, even if I don't like
his art.  The Beagle Boys story in USA 28 committed what was for me a
sin -- giving one Beagle a name, and a weird one at that.  But I thought
that the general idea was a good one.  Then his most recent strip, in DM
29, I thought was excellently written -- very well defined how HDL can
be little scientists one moment, and very childlike a moment later.

      DON AULT:  If you're reading this, I'd like to tell you that I
have a copy of DDOS 348 ("Crocodile Collector") with your name written
across the front in childish handwriting.  Is there more than one Don
Ault out there, or did your mom sell your old comics?  Do you want this
one back?

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>
      "Oh, roar a roar for Nora -- Nora Alice, in the night!  For she
has seen Aurora Borealis burning bright!"