Pork-Barrel Politics and Walden Duck Pond

Jørgen Andreas Bangor jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Mon Nov 21 23:50:35 CET 1994

My grandmother was 80 on saturday, so I've been in Fredrikstad for a few
days.

Pork-Barrel Politics
--------------------
DAVID:
So there are _three_ pigs. Yes, I was thinking about your story,
and I'm terribly sorry to say that it's not in this weeks DD&Co,
and doesn't seem to appear next week either. Actually, I don't
know about that, because they've only presented one of the stories
coming next week. Rest of the page is used for a picture of this
year's christmas calendar, and what we will learn in the Junior
Woodchuck's guidebook next week. Even if Soland has made this
magazine better in the last years, it's still meant for kids too.
Not that that's so bad in itself, but... (hey, what am I talking
about? I'm going to buy two of these "calendar issues" so that I can
have one untouched for the collection, and one that I can use to
shorten the time before christmas :)
    I guess they'll use your story as a lead story, and then I guess
it won't appear next week. the story presented is about Donald
being a sales agent, or something, for some cleaning stuff.

The reason why I thought about your story was that we've seen a lot
of DD eight and ten pagers the last weeks, and although a few of them
were good, a lot of them were not. I have the impression that your
"Pork-Barrel Politics" will be  your next story to appear, and I'm
sure it's a good one. The lead story in this weeks DD&Co will satisfy
me for a while, though. WOW! It's a quite long time since I've seen
a new story by this artist, but I'm quite sure. This _must_ be Marco
Rota!

I like stories with a lot of dialogue. Ever read a Tintin story?

I'm very glad you liked my listings of contents! Then it wasn't just
a waste of time. I will continue.

313
---
MIKE (I guess you don't pronounce that as Americans would do it ;-) :
You're right, of course. The car is just used in any way just to fit
into the story it's featured in.

Walden Duck Pond
----------------
DAVE: I forgot the code of the D-story in the latest Onkel Skrue, but
you will probably recognize it, if it's your story I'm reffering to.
     This story proves, at least to me, that _both_ art and story are
important. Not equally important, though. A bad story can't be made
good with great art, but a good story can be harmed a lot with lousy
art - which is the case with this story. I read it a couple of times
to make sure I knew what I meant about it. You've done a good job in,
eh, resembling Barks. I recognize "Barks" in your Scrooge. The way he
wants to get away from everything, and then gets well again when he's
doing some trading.
     Just to make sure we're talking about the same story: Scrooge
wants to get away from everything, and is having a small house built
for him on a mountain. Far away from the civilization. The house is
equipped with everything to make life easy. A couple of neighbors are
a little sceptical to this cirkus. Then everything breaks down, and
Scrooge will have to do on his own, which he manages perfectly.
     So this is Raf (given that this _is_ your story). He will never be
among my favourites. It seems to me that he's a skilled artist, but
Scrooge should not look like some unidentified strange water fowl, I
think... This is not the human being Scrooge McDuck. This is just a
foolish little animal. Your story would have done a lot better with
another artist.
     It seems to me that you must have had a lot of fun while you made
this story.
     One thing puzzle me a bit. The story seems to have two endings...
One of them being in the middle of the story. After the house was
"removed" by the lightning, Scrooge builds a small "house" from what
he finds in the forest (like the JW's would have done). The neighbors
drop by, and they trade food for coffee. The first time I read the
story, I thought this was the ending. IMHO it could very well have been.
But then a "new" story starts, where Scrooge is having his planned
vacation _without_ every equipment, and have to make everything himself.
"This story" is also good, and it ends with Scrooge trading with money,
instead of coffee. This is _not_ meant as critizism. I'm just saying
this because I think it's a bit unusual (a lot of stories have a total
lack of a good ending, but this story has got two!)

The contents of DD&Co #47 will appear very soon.

   Jorgen