Disney-comics digest #460.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Thu Oct 13 04:30:29 CET 1994

DAVID:
	I recall you posting a message about Grandma's husband being
named "Humperdink" several months ago when you were just popping in and
out here. Tell me what issues of WDC&S this appears in. And you imply it
was mentioned more than once? That is unusual to see ANY sort of
continuity in these comics in those days.
	I can easilly be persuaded to use that name -- I picked "Dabney
Duck" for reasons I can certainly no longer recall after 3 years. But
since Barks never gave him a name, "Humperdink" has a precedent in those
old WDC&S and does not conflict with Barks, so I can use it. But no
matter what the creator of Grandma intended her to be, Barks said she
was Donald's grandmother, so that she has to be (as far as I'm
concerned).

ANDY:
	I actually DID do a 10-page "gag" story last month... my first
since 1990. And it wasn't so hot. At least it didn't seem very good when
I was doing it -- I'd had an idea for a story in my notes for many
years, and decided to use it. But getting it to actually WORK was like
pulling teeth... which tells me that it was NOT working. I can't judge
whether it ultimately worked or not, but since it was a difficult story
to do, I didn't enjoy it and therefore felt that it SUCKED. We'll see.
Good ideas for 10-page stories are always very easy to make stories out
of -- I think I wrote "On a Silver Platter" in about an hour.
	I might try another 10-pager, but I really can't get inspired by
the whole idea. I see these as ADVENTURE characters -- and only
adventure stories seem worth dealing with. "Gag" stories are too
forgetable.