Who's reading this, anyway?

Trygve J Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Thu Sep 22 20:49:56 CEST 1994

FABIO:

> And a last thing about computer: those of you who work with a UNIX system,
> can very easily recover the list of the subscribers to the list simply
> typing
>
> vrfy disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se
>
> or, just to be sure
>
> vrfy -txxx disney-comics at minsk.docs.uu.se
>
> (xxx is any time you like) if your server is slow, too.

Thanks for the tip!  I tried it and it worked great!   I did have to
specify a time greater than the default 60 seconds and, on my system at
least, the time parameter has the format -t xxx instead of -txxx.

Now this gave me a list of those who receive the messages directly, but
those people who get digests are not their.  I would guess that they are
on a different list.

One interesting thing, I thought, was that two of the entries
<disney-comics at ifi.uio.no> and <disney-comics at corp.portal.com> look like
lists in themselves.   Now if they feed other lists, there could be quite
a network of list readers out there...

Tryg