New Comic Book Price Guide

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 18:38:37 CEST 1995

      The new Overstreet annual Guide came out this year.  They
tried to incorporate some reference material I made for them, but
boy, they did it as haphazardly as all-get-out.  Furthermore they've
begun listing random Disney titles under W!

      MICKEY MOUSE COMIC (the David McKay annual 48-pagers of the
early '30s) now has the contents of each book listed, but with regard
to #4 they've added a statement that the issue's reprint of a certain
Kat Nipp strip (the one where Mickey's tail gets cut off) is the only
"known" (?) American reprint.  They didn't pick up on how this
solitary strip was reprinted in full in MICKEY MOUSE IN COLOR.
      MICKEY AND DONALD is now listed under W, for WALT DISNEY'S
MICKEY AND DONALD.
      DONALD AND MICKEY (Gladstone) is listed under W, for WALT
DISNEY'S DONALD AND MICKEY.  All issues are listed with a value of
$3.00 apiece, because they accidentally put a price list that should
have gone beside the 64-page issues only, beside ALL the issues.
      DONALD DUCK ADVENTURES (Gladstone) has been relisted under
W, for WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK ADVENTURES.  Rosa issues have been
listed incompletely.
      DONALD DUCK ADVENTURES (Disney) has been also relisted under W.
Barks reprints have been inadequately listed (although the list's
more complete than last year's edition).  They continue to note "New-
a?" beside issue 5 when I've told them a thousand times that yes,
this issue has no reprints in it.
     DONALD DUCK is still listed under D, with all listings from Dell
to the present right there.  But one issue (#252) appears in the W
section's illustrations as an issue of "WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK,"
so it looks like they had been in the process of moving the listing
when they went to press.  What a mess.  They have tried to note that
AT reprints appear in some issues, but have incorrectly stated which
ones;  the listing for #286 isolates it but says only "Happy Birthday,
Donald" without listing any inside contents.
      UNCENSORED MOUSE:  I told Overstreet that no Gottfredson work
actually appeared in the two published issues, that only Iwerks and
Win Smith had work reprinted.  The upshot is that FG continues to be
listed, but a "NOTE" at the end of the listing mentions that Win
Smith's art is also in the issues.
      UNCLE SCROOGE only lists issues through Whitman now.  The
others are listed under...
      WALT DISNEY'S UNCLE SCROOGE as a separate series.  US #219 is
now listed as being worth $15, by the way;  #285 is listed at $5,
with the other LO$ issues slightly higher than cover (but not much),
all of them uniform in price.  They are specifically noted as LO$
issues.
      WALT DISNEY'S COMICS AND STORIES is listed where it always has
been, but a list I sent them of reprinted Barks stories has been
mistakenly added to their list of reprinted Barks COVERS.  So in the
now-ponderous "NOTE" section at the end, some issues without Barks
covers are listed as reprinting Barks covers from comics without
Barks covers.

      No Disney fan could help but be confused by this chaos,
particularly the seemingly random splitup of titles based on whether
or not Walt's name is in the indicia in upper or lower case.
Overstreet is a very confusing reference for these comics.
      Don, you're listed as contributing information to the Guide.
Maybe you can straighten them out on this mess?

      Bruce Hamilton has two ads in the volume.  One is for
lithographs, the other is for the trading cards sold with his albums
(but not the albums themselves, which are not shown and their
contents not even described).  The trading cards usually look great,
but one of the three shown (depicting the Micro-Ducks from Outer
Space) has to be one of the least attractive ones I've seen, a real
shame when this ad goes on the back cover of the price guide.
      A new section at the front of the book gives capsule
histories of surviving comic book publishers along with descriptions
of what each told Overstreet that they were doing in 1995.  Gladstone
gets a page which includes a huge Gladstone logo and a colorful Don
Rosa picture of Scrooge (from the cover to U$A 22), but it's very
obvious that the information they gave Overstreet was cursory (not
mentioning any comic book titles, stories, or artists aside from
their Felix and Charles Barkley projects).  By contrast, Bongo Comics
gets two pages, wherein they describe a lot of what they're putting
out during the year.
      The combined effect of the ads and this "biography" page is
that Gladstone appears to be interested in promoting virtually
anything BUT its comics.

      MARK MAYERSON:  I sent you your tape today.  Can you perhaps
send me Tim Smith's address from any APATOONS issue?  I need to send
him something, too, but have no issues with me here in Scotland.

      JOHN LUSTIG:  I haven't asked John Clark, but maybe your "Peace
in Pieces" story has been rescheduled for the 48-page COLLECTORY
series?  I know that #2 is to feature "The Mines of King Solomon" in
the lead spot, and that's not going to fill a 48-page comic.
      By the way -- I found out that you were responsible for "Hocus
Pocus Hypnosis" from Anina Bennett.  After that, attributing
"Something's Fishy" to you was easy, because aside from me, you're
the only Egmont writer who gives Mickey his 1930s vocabulary.

      Where are my own Mickey stories that I have spoken of?  Even
Egmont hasn't published any of them yet.  But one has now been drawn
and Egmont has bought a total of four:  "Digging Up Trouble," "The
Egg Collector," "Mickey Mouse's Unjust Dessert," and "A Mouse Against
the World."  I've written a fifth one, but it's too long for Egmont
and I'm going to sell it, presumably, to Gladstone or Oberon.  I'm
also doing a long adventure for Disney Italy this year.

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>