Lots of things

Larry Gerstein gerstein at math.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 8 00:39:36 CEST 1995

        Hi, gang!

        Nope, I haven't changed my name to Larry, that's just my dad's name
which is forevermore plastered on my family's account since it's mostly him
who uses it.  Furthermore, the account is on a modem at my dad's office at
the University, here.  So whatcha gonna do?

        DON ROSA:
        If you want to redo part of LO$ 12, you better work fast, my
friend!  Gladstone prepares their comics roughly SIX MONTHS in advance, and
US 296 is four months away.  Did you tell Gladstone you were going to alter
the story?  (If you did, this whole letter's just so much jousting at
windmills, but I do want to help if I can.)

        BIG NEWS FOR MICKEY!
        Starting after "Mickey Aladdin," the Goofy History stories will
move to WALT DISNEY GIANT, where one or two (but no more) will be presented
annually, all in one part.  DONALD DUCK AND MICKEY MOUSE will have
continuous European Mickey stories beginning with #4, as of present news
from Gladstone.
        The stories will include "The Trojan Horse," drawn by Ferioli, and
Pat McGreal's "Fossil Hunters" (with Prof. Dustibones, a sequel to "The
Land of Long Ago," also drawn by Ferioli).  Noel Van Horn's Mickey stories
will also appear.

        SHARON noted that at my San Diego panel I
        "...kept things rolling and even got to relate what [I was] working
on,and on and on..."
        I had been to some panels at last year's Con, and this year's Con,
after hosting last year's Disney panel, and noted something which I took to
be some unwritten rule:  when someone talked about their own stories a lot,
this would get others talking about THEIRS.
        As Dwight noted, my panel started out quietly (and some people
left), so I tried to liven things up by being enthusiastic about my own
stories.  Thinking that others would then start describing THEIR stories.
But while panellists did get more fired up after that, they didn't talk
much about their stories.  Huh?  Don't people like to talk about the
stories they're working on?
        "We had good fun with David at meals where he was often asked to
show his I.D. as he is youger looking than his 21 years."
        There goes my reputation out the window...  ;-)
        "He does not have a drivers license, so he would show the scripts
he had
done to try convince people he was older.  Sometimes it worked..."
        >SPLAT!<  And there it hit the pavement outside.  ;-)

        DWIGHT:
        Don't worry, my panel discussion was slow at first, and some people
left, but I wasn't just reduced to a basketcase.  Because when a DC panel
ended at 5 PM, a lot of folks came in (I guess maybe you didn't see them
come in).  Around halfway into the panel, we had more people than we
started with.
        "I've just been offered Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #26 for
$20!" [I] exclaimed breathlessly. "Is it a good deal?"  Actually, I knew it
wasn't a BAD deal, but I had been getting some very good buys earlier that
day (a WDC&S 18 for $8, for instance, with a page missing but nothing of
consequence gone).  So I wanted to ask someone else's opinion.

        AUGIE:
        Glad you liked "E. A. T."  In the version I submitted to Gladstone,
I'd lettered the story's title quite elaborately in the same lettering
style used for Spielberg's E. T. posters, recommending that Gladstone do
the same.  As it happened, they printed the story with no title on the
first panel.
        The rhyming dialogue for the Beagle Boys was a parody of the song
"Three Little Maids From School" from "The Mikado" by Gilbert and Sullivan.
 As the nephews left Gyro's house earlier on the page, they had said
"They'll none of 'em be missed" (another line from "The Mikado") but I had
failed to inform Gladstone that this was a reference to something, and they
corrected the boys' grammar.  I blew it!

        Well, folks, I'm off for now.  Back next week...

        David (AKA Larry) Gerstein
        <gerstein at math.ucsb.edu>
        "Have a chestnut, boys! ... OW!"

gerstein at math.ucsb.edu