Disney-comics digest #747.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Aug 8 05:41:00 CEST 1995

>DAVID:
        If you want folks to stop calling you "Larry", you should stop
calling Barry "Sharon". Silly boy.

DANNY C.:
        I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse... but I'm still wondering just
what the Barksian facts are that I'm changing in the "Lo$"? As I point out
in my text in the new issue, Barks himself decided that the Money Bin was 70
years old after he'd used it for a few years. There's no Bin age I could
have given that would have agreed with Barks. But tell me what other "facts"
are that I've changed (other than the couple that I myself mention in the
texts)... if I've accidentally changed something I'm unaware of, tell me
what it is and I can correct it in time for the reprint albums.

AUGIE:
        I'm glad you liked the "Hearts of the Yukon" story. But I didn't
think I was trying to be too subtle with the identity of Jack London. I
introduced him into the story by having everyone calling for the "writer
fellow" named "London".

DANIEL:
        Though Barks resents my "Lo$" and the sequels I do to his stories
(and he has, as I've always said, every right to do so), his Duck stories
are Disney property by his choice... and it's Egmont who asks me for those
sequels (which I DO love to do). But I can easilly decline to muck about
with sticking Don Rosa panels directly into old Barks stories. I did that
once at Gladstone's request with "How Green Was My Lettuce", but I have no
reason or desire to do it anymore. Besides, if anybody wants something like
that, Daan Jippes is vastly better suited to be doing it -- he's a much
better artist and can mimic Barks' style to boot. I would think it would be
rather JOLTING to be reading a comic drawn by someone else and suddenly be
inflicted by a Rosa half-page carnage scene with no prior warning -- that
could be hazardous to one's mental health.

SHARON:
        How about shaving off that moustache, babe?

MIKE and others:
        I can tell you where I plan on adding panel-tiers to chapter 12 of
the "Lo$". I'm sticking 2 tiers (1/2 page) in when the Ducks first enter
$crooge's mansion and are walking down a trophy-lined hall to his study. I
am adding a 1/2 page where they are approaching the long-closed Money Bin,
showing the acid moat and drawbridge and cannon-lobby as seen in Barks'
first use of the Bin. I'm sticking 1 1/2 pages into the Beagle Boy chase
sequence, though not all in one lump. And I'm adding 2 tiers to the ending
scene where I try to make a decent try at the "psycho-drama" of $crooge
becoming his final self. And David (Larry)... yes, naturally Gladstone knows
what I'm doing. I have about a month to get the pages to Todd Klein for
lettering, so no sweat.