Disney-comics digest #750.

Brent R. Siewert 74454.2506 at compuserve.com
Fri Aug 11 18:16:59 CEST 1995

DON:  I saw your comments on CompuServe noting that the self-covered format
becomes standard on all Gladstone titles shipping in November.  I posted a
message here regarding Gladstone's CBG ad of a coupla weeks ago that listed all
subscription rates as if they were self-covered---hoping this would not be the
case.  Now it appears our worst fears were justified.  Except for Uncle Scrooge,
I have purposely avoided this format to try to influence sales figures in some
very minor way.  However, it appears this decision was made long before any
sales figures were in, let alone ordering figures (although the solicitation was
rather coy about what was happening).  Did anyone from Gladstone comment on this
at San Diego?  I still feel this format will be rejected by the direct market
customers as well as the 7-11s/Wal-Marts impulse buyers.  I know that nobody
makes a business decision they think will fail, but I can't help but think this
is an act of desperation---a last gasp effort at trying to succeed.  Is there
anything we can do besides write a letter?  This is very discouraging.

By the way, Chapter 10 of LO$ was my favorite, even though the murky
reproduction detracted from the presentation.  Belated congrats on the Eisner.
Did you get a chance to talk to Gary Groth re the TCJ interview?  I wouldn't
mind seeing an older interview, but it would be much better to see an up-to-date
interview, especially if it's a two-parter.