Carl ... WHO?

Arthur_de_Wolf wolfman at pi.net
Thu Aug 17 04:43:54 CEST 1995

DON said:
> In the European Disney comics, the translators get credit for their
> work in the comic indicia, but the people who actually did the writing,
> pencilling and inking of all the stories get NO credit.

That's what I dislike most in the Dutch Disney comics. They NEVER tell
you who created a story. Disney comics are quite popular in Holland,
but (most of) the poeple who read them, never heard of 'Don Rosa', 'Carl
Barks' or 'William Van Horn'! That's why (I think) the Dutch Donald Duck
weekly gets those childish letters in their letter-column, like: "I had to
go to the dentist yesterday", or: "when it's my birthday, I get TWO
cookies with my cola!". What ELSE can the readers of Dutch Disney comics
write about?

Just like Don said, it's ALL European Disney comics, that 'refuse' to
print the entire credits. When I'm reading a German "Donald Duck Sonder-
heft" or a french "Le Journal de Mickey". It's always the same!
I only got to know about these artists, when I began reading American
Disney comics!

DANNY:
> At least I never saw any Disney comics the times I`ve been to Kenya.
> (The last time was just two weeks ago). But would you give away money
> for comic books if you only earned about 80$ a month??? But I`ll
> have a look at it when I go there next time.

I'd appreciate that. If you'd like to take a look, I'd maybe be able to
add "Kenya" to my "(Non-)Disney-Comics-Publishing-Countries-List".

I have to agree, that when you only earn about $80 a month, you're not
really interested in buying Disney comics. Someone, who had visited Mexico
City, once told me, that almost ALL children on the street are reading
comics. They're not DISNEY comics though! But very small and cheap comics.
(with a lot of violence and sex). These comics are supposed to be extremely
popular over there. Even the children who live on the streets read them.
I have one of those comics here. It's called "Sensacional de Luchas a
Color". The Disney Comics in Mexico (like 'Pato Donald' or 'Daisy') are
also very cheap and small!

--Arthur.