Disney-comics digest #756.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Thu Aug 17 15:03:00 CEST 1995

"RoC":
        Glad to see you back to these screens after an ansence.
        I wish someone over in Europe can help me get a copy of that CARL
BARKS & CO. #22. I was wondering why Milton hadn't sent me one, but if he
was not the editor/publisher for this issue, that might explain it. I can't
send a check to Denmark since it would cost them too much to cash a foreign
check, or so I was once told by someone there who wouldn't accept my currency.
        I have just about finished up my additional material to the "Lo$"
part 12. Several people suggested adding to the opening TV documentary about
$crooge's life, but that seems like useless filler to me -- that was all in
parts 1-11, right? Besides, I try to make it clear that no one in Duckburg
knows much about $crooge's life or money since he's always been so
reclusive, and the TV show couldn't say more than it did.
        You thought the BB chase was already too long? Oops -- well, now
it's too, TOO long. Actually, I didn't think the story needed any additions
to the plot or the incidents -- it was just that everything seemed to happen
too ABRUPTLY! The Ducks enter $crooge's mansion and BANG they're standing in
front of him. The Ducks take off after the BBs and BANG they catch them. I
was squeezed for space (but, as usual, long on ideas). So all I've done is
added panels in between the beginnings of some action and the outcome. This
would STILL make the BB chase longer, nonetheless -- you'll just hafta tell
me if I harmed or helped the mess.
        I really should have concentrated on making the darn story more
CHRISTMASSY! You're right! I LOVE Christmas schmaltz!!! Perhaps that was
never in the forefront of my mind since I had so much other stuff to cram
in, and both times I was working on the story was in the middle of
burning-hot Augusts. And unlike when chptar 12 appeared in Europe, it will
by sheer chance be appearing in the Christmas issue of Gladstone's U$, so it
would have been soooo great to punch up the Christmas aspects more! I'm
gonna go back over there and think some more about where to stick some
Christmas into the mess -- yet, there's little hope. The story takes place
in places like $crooge's mansion and Money Bin... and Christmas cheer and
decorations would be completely out of place in those settings. I've put in
more of my "dripping sentimentality" as some people accuse me... and the
addition of Christmas schmaltz would have displeased that clique of readers
even if it had pleased others. You can't please everyone so you just hafta
try to only please yourself, as some song says.
        However, a REAL CHRISTMASSY story is on my agenda -- the European
publishers have been asking me for one for years. It's already too late for
this year. Maybe next.

FRANK:
        I'm glad to have another Italian in the group. That was an excellent
introDUCKtion. It sounds like you've really seen very few of my stories -- I
hope they'll grow on you a bit when you see more. But... maybe not?
        Where was this self-proclaimed Disney comics expert that you
mentioned getting into a tiff with on some BBS? Why isn't he here? How many
more friends would we have here if people knew where to find us? And I don't
know what else Per can do to spread the word. In my final text for the
"Lo$", I hope to put the Internet addresses of the group and perhaps myself.
We'll see what that does.>