Harry and Ole

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Thu Aug 17 14:55:12 CEST 1995

HARRY:
------

>> In which story did Miss Quackfaster appear for the first time?

> Let me quote an old answer from Don Rosa to one of my questions
> (july, 1993):

    >> As you noted, she was only used in the American UNCLE $CROOGE
    >> #36 & 39 (IF that's her in #36), and she was only named in #39.

Thanks! I will add her to the list of introduction-stories. (It seems
that you can search very quickly through your archives.) I will also
note that she was nameless in US 36 (if it's her).

    >> As to why she is popular -- it's only because somebody at
    >> Egmont or Oberon decided to start using her as $crooge's
    >> one-and-only secretary many years back, so she became a fixture
    >> in the European stories, and therefore NOW in American
    >> reprints.

I think that is a reason to put her on that list. But... maybe then I
should also place "Rockerduck" on it? He seems to be used very often
in Italy. I should know it, but was Rockerduck really a creation of
Barks? Why did Barks create the character? (I ask this because I
vaguely remember that I red something about this.)

Harry, we also had a little discussion once if we should put "Venijn
MacSnekkie" (Dutch name for the pig-villian) on the intro-list. You
said something like that it could be a problem, because Barks used
different names for the pig. Maybe we can put him on the list as "pig-
villian"?

But then... which story introduced the pig-villian?

HARRY & OLE about "King Scrooge the First":

>>  How much lost can a script get?

> In this case (and other cases), Barks' script was in the form of
> pencilled pages with text. Strobl and/or the editor seem to have
> changed several things, but we can't tell for sure, because the
> original Barks pencils are lost.

In the CBL is an article about the story. What survived of the story
is also a page-by-page written script by Barks. After that he made the
pencil script. This makes it easier to find out what might be changed
by Strobl and the editors. (But I agree that we can't tell it for
sure.)

The ending of the story has very typical differences with the written
script, so that's why we can say that there are some changes there.

--- Daniel

"King Scrooge had a fantastic layout and I hardly needed to do any
preliminary sketches, just trace."  [Tony Strobl]