First Time

James E. Smith III jsmith3 at host1.dia.net
Fri Aug 18 18:48:18 CEST 1995

O.k. people this is my first time trying to get a message through, so I
hope it works.  First off, I have been a Disney fan, both comics and
cartoons, since I was little kid. Being a sickly kid, and having severe
asthma and allergies, I read quite a bit; and very soon got acquainted
with Disney comics. Though at the time, I did not that I loved the Carl
Barks Scrooge and Donald Duck stories especially.  There was something to
the duck stories with their simplicity of elegance and story,, that
really stood out. When I was in the hospitial,reading stories such as
"The Giant Robot Robber" over and over again kept me occupied for hours.

Now, as an adult, I have regained that lost innocense and wonder over the
Barks stories. Last year, I finished my master's degree with my thesis
being the evolution of humor in the Donald Duck cartoons. Two years ago,
I also had the opportunity to visit the Disney Archives for a few days.
It was an honor and something I will  not forget for the rest of my life.

Now, I hope to continue my studies on "Barksian" literature and hopefully
be able to pass on my love of comics to others. Barks, just how can you
compare him to others?

Now, I've come across Don Rosa, and my love for Scrooge and Donald are
even greater than ever. My knowledge of other Disney comics across the
world is somewhat limited, and I find it fascinating that the Disney
comics are held is such regard across the world. It's sad to say that
America does not even appreciate it's own culture.

By the way, Don, if you're watching, just what Tailspin episodes did you
write? I have a penpal who wants to track them down.

Sincerely,

James Smith III
1615 Main
Williston, ND   58601