DON, FREDERIK, SHERLINE

Arthur_de_Wolf wolfman at pi.net
Sat Aug 26 07:15:14 CEST 1995

Hi!

DON:
> If you're going to continue searching for how many editions of
> Disney comics there are worldwide, you will find great confusion in South
> America.

In fact, I do have a couple of issues from South America. They're called
'Pato Donald' and 'Daisy'. It's printed by De Edila S.A. in Columbia.
But on the cover, are the prices for the following countries:
Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Columbia, Puerto Rico, Estados Unidos,
Panama, Venezuela, Ecuador, Honduras, R. Dominicana.
As you said, it's practically all of South America. But Brazil isn't
on the list.

> I would suspect there's a Portuguese language edition in Brazil, but
> that may be the same as the edition that somebody said was done in
> Portugal (first I'd heard of that).

I didn't know that. That's interesting! After I read this, I took
a closer look at my Portugese Disney comics. I found two adresses. One
in Lisboa (Portugal) and one in Porto. I looked up Porto in my
interactive Global Explorer on CDROM, and I saw that Porto
is a small town in Brazil. So that's it!

> You'll be having this same trouble between MANY of the countries on
> your list.

Today, I got Greg's package, with the Australian Disney Comics, published
in the 70s. (Before Gladstone's license for the Disney stuff covererd
all of North America, Australia, New Zealand and other areas of the
South Pacific). I've already sent Greg a thanx-message, and a couple
of messages in which I ask him questions about the comics. But, what
I wanted to say is, that these Australian comics, were also sold
in Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. Just like you said, it's all
very complicated. But, maybe the people on this Mailing List can
help me! :-)

FREDRIK:
> Now, I don't remember this clearly, but what way do the Chinese read?
> Right-to-left?

Yes, I also thought that! But the comic I have, is from Left-to-right!
It's a very small comic though. (Maybe 10 by 10 cm). It's all in
Black and White, and every page contains only one (and sometimes two)
panels. Giafranco is trying to translate the name of this Chinese
comic! He already told me that the comic from India was called 'Disney
Today'. (I sent him a GIF-file with the titles yesterday).

SHERLINE:
> The first issue highlights Pocahontas and picks up AFTER
> the ending of the animated feature.

Yes, I have the first issue of 'Disney's comic hits'. The cover
looks great, the art in the story looks okay, but I didn't like
the story itself.

> Storywise - they are definitely geared towards the children segment
> of the population.

That's for sure. What about the letters-page? All the letters go like this.

	Dear Mrs X,

	I like your comics very much. I've
	bought ALL the issues so far. Last
	issue (#3), was VERY good. I liked
	the art also. Keep on the good work.

	Betty
	Age: 7

	Dear Betty,

	I'm glad you like our issues. But
	did you also see the other comics
	in our series? Check out Aladdin,
	Beauty and the Beast and The
	Little Mermaid! Why don't you
	subscribe, so you are sure,
	you don't miss ONE issue? Ofcourse
	you'll have to ask your parents
	first. Thank you, for buying our
	comics, Betty!

	Mrs X.

That's just ONE letter. But all the letters on the letter-pages go
like this. And Mrs X ALWAYS mentions the other comics Marvel publishes.
If you're used to Gladstone-like comics (like me), you really hate
these childish letters. Well, I do!

--Arthur.