song lyrics in Disney comics?

Wilmer Rivers rivers at seismo.CSS.GOV
Thu Feb 2 02:16:00 CET 1995

David Gerstein posts:
      EVERYONE:  In regards to a new story, let me ask:  Do the lines
"We'll sit and talk/and watch a hawk/Turning lazy circles in the sky"
belong to the song "Oklahoma" or the song "Spring Is Busting Out All
Over"?  And are both of these songs from the musical "Oklahoma", or
is the latter one from somewhere else?

I'm not sure, but if it is in fact from "Oklahoma" then isn't it from
"Oh What a Beautiful Morning" rather than the title tune?  Somehow,
that doesn't sound at all right either, so maybe it's from some com-
pletely different Rogers and Hammerstein song.  I wish I had a recording
of "Oklahoma" to check, but I don't.  And the other song you mention
is "**June** is Bustin' Out All Over", not "Spring", and it's from
"Carousel".  The reason I'm replying to the list rather than to you is
that I'm curious about how these lyrics (which would be copyrighted by
the Oscar Hammerstein estate) could be used in a Disney comic.  Don
Rosa reported that his use of "Do Not Forsake Me, Oh Mah Darlin'" had
to be truncated before the last word, and he also had trouble using
"Lydia, oh Lydia, oh have you seen Lydia" in his most recent story.
Didn't you report a similar incident?  How then could you use the lyrics
about which you are inquiring?

Wilmer Rivers