Disney-comics digest #571.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Thu Feb 2 07:11:13 CET 1995

TOBIAS:
	Hi.
	I'm not sure what you read that I said about the name plate on that safe
in Lo$ #2... but I had originally written "Oso Safe" on the thing, and that was
removed, probably from the original art (since that's how they operate, treating
originals as if they had no more worth than a xerox). Therefore ALL photostats
of the story that have gone out have also had "Oso Safe" deleted. And, in fact,
it is also deleted from the Gladstone version, contrary to what you seem to
imply. Actually (just as with the earlier European editions) they just sorta
smeared the name plate so that you can just tell what it used to say if you
already knew. And in one panel where it is VERY tiny, they left it along.
	Anyway... no, the German editions of those stories do not and CAN not use
the Gladstone versions. First of all, though the Germans are running behind the
rest of Europe on the Lo$, they are still AHEAD of Gladstone. Also, Gladstone
gets the same art as everyone else... they only color it differently. And though
I wish the Germans COULD use Gladstone's VASTLY superior coloring, the two color
systems are totally incompatible and cannot be shared.
	And to confuse me further, the German edition DOES have the "Oso Safe"
nameplate smeared to illegibility the same as all other editions.
	("Oso Safe" is, of course, Barks' old name for $crooge's preferred safe
manufacturer.)