Disney-comics digest #583 (again)

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 14:46:52 CET 1995

      DON:  You're amazed that Rockerduck, a "toss-off" character in
a single Barks story, could become so popular.
      But it's not surprising to me that he became popular.  For the
first time, here was a tycoon rival for Scrooge who lived right in
Duckburg, a very fertile source of plot ideas.  By contrast, Glomgold
lives in Africa.  He's harder to make naturally "work" in a story set
in Duckburg.
      Of course, Egmont has traditionally dealt with that problem by
simply having Glomgold make frequent (and unaccountable) trips to
Duckburg, while Disney TV dealt with it by actually saying that
Glomgold lived in Duckburg, which we KNOW isn't right.

      Some of you will be pleased to hear that I'm writing my
Hard-Haid Moe story now, and Egmont's on such a tight schedule that
it has been specifically commissioned with a late-1995 issue already
in mind (I was told to use a winter setting -- good thing, too, since
it was just right for the story).  So Moe is going to make his first
(?) Egmont appearance within the year.
      No one I have ever spoken to (Becattini included) knows the
English name of Moe's dog any more.  I have called him Ol' Blue, a
traditional name for tick hounds like this poor specimen of
caninedom.  Does any Australian reader actually have records as to
his original English name?

      Anyone who's in touch with Gladstone regularly might tell them
that "Colossus of the Nile" will reach them in a few days.  I think
all of you are really going to enjoy this great Scarpa story.  It's
my own personal favorite.  And Fabio worked on it, too (not to
mention his friend Mirko -- Fabio, does Mirko get these Digests?).

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>