Inking Barks covers and US 71

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Mon Feb 20 18:22:33 CET 1995

DAVID, about the cover of WDC&S 592 (pencilled by Barks and inked by Van Horn):
> Since the Dutch have inked a lot of abandoned Barks covers before, I bet
> there must be a Daan Jippes cover with this same gag.  Harry?

Not this one. I have never seen a cover with this subject before. I don't
even think the pencil sketch is in the Carl Barks Library. Just like the
Barks/Van Horn cover on one of the Gyro (CBL in Color) albums, this came
as a total surprise.

BTW: all "Dutch" inkings of Barks cover pencils were done by the German
Ulrich Schroeder. He also once re-inked the story from U$ 71: "King Scrooge
the First". When Disney asked for it, Schroeder said he threw the pages
away. I still hope that's not true, and that his version of the story will
be published by Gladstone one day...
Anyone know more about this?

--Harry.