Donald Duck #290

Mark Semich mas at cs.bu.edu
Sat Feb 25 02:04:39 CET 1995

I just read Barks' "Good Canoes and Bad Canoes" in DD 290 and noticed a
few places where the dialogue had been altered.  Does anyone know if these
alterations are old ones or new Disney imposed ones just for this latest
printing?

HDL&L have a squirrel that is named "Sidney" but whenever the "Sidney"
name appears, it is in a different handwriting than the rest of the
lettering and has a lot of white space around it - an obvious alteration.
Anyone know "Sidney"'s original name, or why it would be changed?

There's another obvious alteration on the last page - 2/3 of HDL (sorry, I
forgot the color rules :-) ) say "and Unca Donald's knocked out!"  The
"knocked out" portion is another obvious change - maybe the original was
"too violent"?

Actually, the more I look at this story, the more possible changes I
notice.  Maybe those Disney comic book censors are getting worried that
they might be fired, so they're just looking for things to change.

The letters page lists the Taliaferro strips printed: "KFS 8/17-9/24/38,
with the exception of 8/18-19 which were not available for publication"
Hmm - I wonder why they weren't available? :-)  I haven't read the strips
yet, but I suspect that the missing ones may be those that David Gerstein
was worried about.