Mickey Mouse in "Sky Island"

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 16:20:28 CET 1995

      I must be slipping!  To think that I forgot to answer a
question about a Gottfredson story!  >Sigh!<  I'm losing it!  Thanks
for answering it, Harry -- now for your own question about the
reprints of the redrawn version.

      That 1949 redrawn version of the story, which originally ran 32
pages, was reprinted in MM 105 or thereabouts;  then in a Dynabrite
Comics special edition (Whitman's album series, the size of
regular comics but with stiff covers and good printing), and finally
in Disney Comics' MMA 10.  All the reprints are a condensed 24-page
version;  the second reprint has changed "Black Pete" to "Pete," and
the third one changes "Black Pete" to "Big Bad Pete."  Oh -- the
third reprint is actually 25 pages long, as they felt the redrawn
version started too abruptly and did a new first page for it.  Steven
DeStephano did the new page, in a very good imitation of Bill
Wright's style.
      BTW, it was the warm reception that MMA 10 got that gave Cris
Palomino the idea that she might be able to sneak the (hitherto
banned) original story past the censors, which she then succeeded in
doing.

      Back soon, folks.

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>