More on Croesus

Arne H. Juul arnej at pvv.unit.no
Tue Jan 24 01:15:58 CET 1995

Well, we have now read (with much pleasure) the new Don Rosa
masterwork, "The treasure of King Croesus".  Don Rosa asked me to
provide a translation of the front-page article, so I'll try to make a
quick-and-dirty translation.

 - -
Uncle Scrooge on treasure hunt

Don Rosa is a great admirer of Carl Barks' Scrooge-stories.  He
especially likes the stories where Scrooge and his nephews are on hunt
for treasure in dangerous circumstances.  In the story "The Son of the
Sun" there are actually a whole page from Scrooge's museum that shows
treasures that Don Rosa has found in old Barks-classics.
Beneath you see both the treasures and from where they are taken.
Another funny detail from "The Son of the Sun" is that part of a
treasure is shown that Scrooge hadn't found yet, namely the treasure
of Croesus.  And after reading the Croesus-story, you will know that
Scrooge probably has borrowed the displayed coins from Joerg
Riensglad...
 - -

Beneath the text is shown the first page from 'Uncle Scrooge and "The
Son of the Sun"' with panels from various stories, and lots of
characterizations like 'Greedy gold-thirsting miser from "The Fabulous
Philosopher's Stone" in Donald Duck & Co.  no.  6/1976' etc.

By the way, the story consistently has the professor as "Joerg
Risenglad" not as Riensglad, as in the introduction.  Also whoever
wrote it didn't notice that the bit of the treasure found in the
hollow column at Ephesus would belong to Scrooge and therefore would
be in Scrooge's musuem...  I must say I greatly admire the way your
tales are so self-consistent, Don!  Several times during the reading I
found myself discovering details in panels that fit perfectly with the
story later on (such as the hay-fork the boys are carrying before it's
used).  This helps make the story worth reading over and over, and
it's always funny.

Your advance copies: I think subscribers get the weeklies some few
days before the stores, but not much. Geir Hasnes will probably know
the details.

I must also concur with Geir Hasnes that the changes of perspective
in "Croesus" are very well-chosen.  I especially noticed this on the
second page, where we see the carnage in the money-bin.  And certainly
I must agree with Donald that this must be Magica's most bizarre plan
to date!

About the drawing style: I remember the first time I read a Don Rosa
story - I certainly noticed that this was very different from the
usual Disney stuff, and very much better.  This was before I knew
anything about Don Rosa, and I remember being very excited about it.
I say, keep your unique style and develop it your own way, and I'll be
a very happy reader.

Yours,

  - Arne H. Juul