Cross and Croesus

bjorn-are.davidsen@s.hk.telenor.no bjorn-are.davidsen at s.hk.telenor.no
Wed Jan 25 10:29:13 CET 1995

Unluuurking I just have to congratulate you, Don, on the treasure of Croesus!

The story was very amusing and impressive! From the enigmatic opening with
Magica (What had really been going on at the money bin?) through the
whole unravelling of the Croesus treasure, it just worked perfectly with me! I
love tales based on historical facts, and especially regarding that part of the
world!

As usual  I dug your many well researched details! The cross on exhibition in
Hagia Sophia (one of my favorite buildings!) is very much a Byzantinian cross,
6th century I would think. It reminds me a bit of the the gift Emperor Justin II
presented to the pope and is still to be found in the Vatican Museum

Some mild comments: There are in fact remains of the great  temple of
Artemis at Ephesus, even if pitifull small. A bit of one pillar is visible on the site,
at least it was when I was there in 1988 (and there should have been remains
in the 50's!). Or perhaps what one may see today is due to what happened in
your tale? And by the way, the ancient city of Ephesus is a very lovely sight.
Lots of buidings to see, not very long from the temple. And there are going on
rather heavy reconstructions of buildings (e.g. the library) in the city!
Construction machines everywhere.

And after my mild criticisms on your Constantinoplan cityscapes in "Guardians
of the lost Library" more than a year ago I have to say that this is indeed an
improvement! Now the buildings have the appropriate "roundness"! Someone (Josef
Brodsky?) once said that loooking at Istanbul from afar is like seeing a nest of frogs in
the weeds. He meant it negatively, to me it is a lovely sight.

If there is one place in Istanbul to find pillars from the temple of Artemis I would have
suggested the large underground "Cisterns of the thousand columns" situated just by
Hagia Sophia. When I was there I noticed several pillars obviously lifted from pagan
temples, as the Byzantinans to create their magnificent city had to get building materials
from all over their world. There are all kinds of pillars upside down (do deglorify the old
gods and godesses?), Medusa heads and whatever.

A possible inconsistency from previous discussions on the wealth of $crooge is that in
this tale it all seems to depend on what's in his bin. Haven't you argued earlier that that is
just a part of his wealth,containing "only" the money he personally has earned and of
which he knows the story of every single coin? Or is there something I have
misunderstood?

However, this is hair splitting! Keep on with more tales from that area! Let $crooge find
the lost treasures of the Byzantinian emperors (e.g. what really happened to their
tombs/burial treasures) after the sack of 1204! Let him go for Timurlanes treasure of
Samarkand a bit farther east! And to Bagdhad which were leveled to the ground by the
Mongolians in 1256 or something. A lot of interesting treasures may have been hidden!
And we must not forget the whole story of the Silk Road!  And perhaps the greatest
treasure of them all: The tomb of Alexander the Great! Go get it, $crooge!

And go write it, Don!

Bjorn Are