Gary Brown: Gladstone

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Tue Jul 4 04:49:58 CEST 1995

(This message is really from Gary Brown /Per)

 Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 23:01:25 -0400
 From: GaryB98294 at aol.com
 Subject: Gladstone

 Everyone probably has seen the non-glossy (i guess that's what you'd call it)
  Donald Duck & Mickey Mouse comic by now. What a mistake that is. The book
 looks and feels cheap -- even at the relatively low price of $1.50 (same
 price as Archie, we continues with regular covers, etc.).
 Now the $5.95 WDC&S comes along.
 It's not my money on the line, of course, by I think Bruce is making some
 poor decisions. He's already catering to Barks fans with the albums, now he
 more than triples the price of a book, hoping to make some bucks?
 It sounds to my uninformed ears that Gladstone is floundering and is doing
 whatever cost-cutting measures necessary to keep their heads above water. Bad
 marketing decisions usually hurt a company more than bad creative decisions.
 These sound like bad marketing decisions.
 And we won't mention the new attempt to enter the non-disney market with the
 Raven book. (Oops. I just did) Gak!
 Has anyone else seen Bill Schelly's The Golden Age of Comic Fandom book?
 $11.95 + $3 postage and handling from Hamster Press, PO Box 27471, Seattle,
 Wash. 98125. Terrific book on early comics fandom.
 Gary Brown