Brazilian Comics

Paulo Barreto Paulo_Barreto at digi.AX.APC.ORG
Sat Jul 8 12:35:40 CEST 1995

HARRY:

  <re "DD in Bangkassa" (H 89151)>

        Indeed, that story had a big loss in translation...

HF}Dutch version: "U$ can't leave because of the fluctuations of the stocks
  }on the oil market."

        As I told you, DD just says U$ "can't travel".  I'm glad to know U$
        remains healthy... :-)

        The opening sequence is particularly baffling.  HDL discuss over
        their vacation destination while DD & U$ talk over the phone.  On
        page 1, panel 4, DD asks "Isn't it illegal?"

        Is it the same text in the original version?  As far as I know
        Disney comics, there's nothing resembling illegality when someone
        (namely U$) trades a TV for a diamond, unless characters are
        changing their minds.  Is DD becoming "politically correct" about
        his uncle's businesses? :)

HF}Dutch version: Sjeik Heballesal (= Sheik Alreadyhaveeverything).

        Another translation gap.  Of course calling him Xeque Jatenhotudo
        would be far from the original intention, but what made Brazilian
        Disney think their readers wouldn't recognize an archetipical
        Arabic chief when they see one?

        Maybe they just had some language trouble.  Are Dutch comics
        exported in their original version or they are first translated
        right in the Netherlands?

ALL:

        Now for _Tio Patinhas_ #359, June '95: does somebody know these
        stories?

        "Sistema de defesa computadorizado" (I 1867): Donald makes out an
        "infallible" defense system for the money bin.  Good old
        traditional Italian style shows DD in an unusual hi-tech genius
        role (he even beats Gyro in this story!).  The computer design must
        improve, I guess.

        "Donald e o Bau' da Felicidade" (I 1959): DD in desert island finds
        floating chest.  Fine airbrush art, dismal gag.

        "O Druida do Lago Ness" (D 93260): DD & U$ have an accident around
        Lock Ness; DD enters time-gate fog and goes back 700 years.  Oh,
        no, another Nessie theory!  And can someone believe Scottish
        warriors wore polka-dot shorts under their kilts? :)

        "Um dia de Fu'ria" (F/JM 94207 C): DD is watched by flying camera
        with flyswatter.

        "Com...Patos Imediatos" (D 91417): U$/DD/HDL take a camping trip
        and try to photograph a flying saucer.

           _____m__(0/\0)__m_____  P.C.Barreto
                                   mad at digi.ax.apc.org

* M_A_D ..Unable to locate SoundBoard -- Operator Suicided!
~~~ EOEC/OLX v1.5 [NR] - not registered evalution copy