Hurray! A new Dutch member!

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Wed Jul 12 00:53:51 CEST 1995

ARTHUR:

> I'm new to this mailing list, so let me first introduce myself.

Welkom in deze fraaie Disney-club! (But let's talk further in
English.) ;-)

> My name is Arthur de Wolf and I'm from the Netherlands.

That is where I was waiting for: Another Dutch member! How old are
you? I'm 21 years old, still being the youngest Dutch member?

> I'm a great fan of Disney comics, especially the American and Dutch
> ones.

Also the Dutch ones? I sure don't agree about last few years, I think
they now mainly contain weak stories. But... those short Heymans-
stories makes them still worth longing for. And I sure like to see
those re-inked Junior Woodchucks-scripts, although I wonder if Jippes
is going to re-ink them all. Does anyone here know more about this?

> I _do_ like to ask any dutch members of this list (like Mr Fluks
> or Van Eijmeren), if they know any good comicbook-stores in
> Holland, where I can buy back-issues of my american-disney-comics-
> collection.

You can try "Panda" in Den Haag and "Lambik" in Amsterdam. But I
don't know about Gladstone (back-)issues being available. I'm sure
Harry knows a lot more, he always buys an extra copy for me.

Maybe it's possible to order back issues directly from Gladstone? Is
there someone here in Europe already doing that? Is it worth trying?

> By the way...why do you all disapprove of Carl Barks' and William
> Van Horn's story "Horsing Around With History". Okay, maybe some
> unusual things happened in this story, which was written by Carl
> Barks, but it wasn't all THAT bad.

No, but it could be A LOT better!

> You have to keep in mind that it is a fictional U$-story, and
> everything can happen in such a story. (from aliens living on
> Venus in U$53 "Interplanetary Postman" to square eggs in DDOS223
> "Lost in the Andes").

Hmm, I don't think I can agree with that. Writing "fictional" stories
doesn't mean you also can write *bad* stories. I agree that everything
can happen in a fictional story, but I think it's important that it
happens in a believeable way.

BTW. I think "Interplanetary Postman" is one of Barks most worst
stories, he must have been very desperate in making up another story
at that time.

> I mean, you must not forget that Carl Barks is already 94 years
> old. And, I think that it is great, that a man, who already
> retired many years ago, still writes a story, to please his fans.

Maybe to please fans (if not for the $$$), but I sure don't think he
did it to please *himself*. He already hated to do those scripts in
the seventies (but he still made a lot good ones then, IHMO).

What do you think about Barks' Junior Woodchuck stories? I really
like a lot of them, especially "Where There's Smoke", "Bottle
Battlers" and "Traitor in the Ranks". The latter two are already
published (at least here in Holland).

PS. Do you have the Carl Barks Library?

Vele groeten!

--- Daniel.