Disney Mounties

Cdoberman@aol.com Cdoberman at aol.com
Sat Jul 15 20:42:02 CEST 1995

Hi:

Earlier this week, I heard on National Public Radio a story that the Canadian
Mounties had sold Disney Co. the exclusive rights to the Mounties' Image and
likeness.  It seems the mounties were tired of depictions such as those in TV
programs like "Due South," i.e., goodie-goodie goofs.   The Mounties believed
that no one could control how an image is depicted like Disney.  How sweetly
ironic that in the very same week, "Scrooge McDuck of the Yukon" hits the
stands and, while the Mounties depicted therein are noble of character, they
are also the bafoons of the story.  Thank you Don Rosa and Gladstone for your
terrific timing.  Would this story be printed as is a year from now?  I
wonder if Disney is embarrassed at all :-) Don, this story features your best
art to date, IMHO.

A side note:  While I requested that my local comic store special order WDG1
for me, I noticed they had not ordered any additional issues for their
shelves.  I'll ask them why.  I wonder if the cheap cover, which dispite the
paper still looks terrific, has the dealers at all concerned.