Barks' last U$ (Re: Daniel in digest #730)

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Mon Jul 24 15:38:52 CEST 1995

(I'm only here today. Next time I read my mail it will be August.)

DANIEL:
> The last Scrooge-
> story was "Doom Diamond" and the last WDC-story was "The Not-so-
> ancient Mariner".

"Doom Diamond" was the last PUBLISHED Barks Scrooge story (in U$ 70). But
he made it before U$ 68 and U$ 69. The editor apparently wanted a reprint
in U$ 67 ("The Fabulous Philosopher's Stone" from U$ 10). So they saved
the story that was meant for U$ 67 and published it in U$ 70.

So: the last Scrooge story Barks both wrote and drew was in fact
"The Cattle King", published in U$ 69.

> After that Barks made script-only "Donald Duck" and "Junior Woodchuck"
> stories. He made two text-only stories in the mid-seventies

Also, the drawing of the Daisy story in WD Digest 5 is done after Barks'
retirement ("The Dainty Daredevil", made in 1968).

--Harry.