Barks vs. Rosa?

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Tue Jun 13 13:25:05 CEST 1995

Jonathan:
> In an interview in the Comics Buyers Guide (don't have the issue #,
> sorry) Barks went on for some length about his dislike of Rosa in general
> and Rosa's series "Life of Uncle Scrooge" in particular.

Daniel:
> Is it possible for you to "publish" that part of the interview?

We have discussed Barks' opinion about Rosa on this list before, so
please scan the archives for more details. Our general outcome was
that Barks' dislike was at least heaviliy inspired by his new manager,
Bill Grandey. Grandey $ell$ artwork from Barks, Van Horn, and Jippes.

Here's a quote from a mail by Wilmer Rivers, from Feb. 8, 1994:

| [...] issue # 1057 of CBG, dated 18 February 1994, [...] contains an
| itinerary of Carl Barks's European tour on May 30 - July 21.  This
| is within a 6-page section devoted to a retrospective of Barks's career
| (and mainly to hyping the Grandeys' line of Barks collectables!).
| [...] Barks favors the works of Daan
| Jippes and William Van Horn as Duck artists most portraying the Disney
| look and story,  These artist/writers are not trying to reinvent who his
| characters are by the Barks definition.  There was a lengthy history of
| his key character, Uncle Scrooge, published in European comics; Barks
| has made it clear he does not agree with this version."  Most of the
| article (like that) is obviously straight from the Grandeys; in fact, of
| the 4 photos of Barks in the issue (including 1 with Barks next to Jack
| Hannah), the Grandeys themselves are in 2 of them!

Speaking of Wilmer Rivers: I hope our Norwegian members have not flooded away!
(Every time there's a flood in the news, I think about Wilmer Rivers
and Even Flood.. 8-)

--Harry.