Disney comics in Holland / Germany

deckerd@agcs.com deckerd at agcs.com
Wed Jun 14 17:16:30 CEST 1995

Oops. You're right about "Der Liebe zarte Bande." Being a native
English speaker, I'm not as sensitive to grammatical gender as I
should be, and I missed that. Then again, if I'd seen the title
in context, maybe I would have realized my first interpretation
couldn't be right.

Well...I'm the guy who spun off a whole fantasy about a beautiful
female robber who got about in a helicopter, all because I didn't
quite catch the derivation the first time I saw the word
"Hubschrauber." I'm sure native Germans would divide the word as
Hub/Schrauber and think nothing of it, but I saw it as "pretty/
robber." Since it meant helicopter, everything fell into place.
Of course, German grammar makes a difference, as it would have
to be "die hubsche Rauberin," which is getting pretty far away
from helicopters, but not being German and finding grammar to
be a nuisance rather than an aid to understanding, I kind of
ignored all that... (Just like I ignored umlauts here 'cause
my 'pooter can't do 'em!)

--Dwight