Disney-comics digest #653.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri May 5 15:54:29 CEST 1995

      Why is no one credited in Gladstone's edition of "Catman Vs.
the Masked Marauder"?  I forgot to answer that.
      Egmont is extremely erratic about giving story information to
Gladstone.  In the 1980s, there was actually a rule that they
COULDN'T give it out, so when proofs to a given story came to
Gladstone, jet-black ink would be blotting out the names of the
writers and artists.
      In 1990, cooincidentally RIGHT when Disney took over from
Gladstone, Egmont agreed to give out the names of writers and
artists.  But in the earlier days, they did a very incomplete job;
around 1991, there are still a lot of stories that appear without
credits because Egmont couldn't offer them.
      From 1992 to 1993, Egmont was very good at giving credits to
Disney Comics-Burbank, so complete ones usually appeared.
      But starting in early 1994, they began doing a very poor job at
supplying Gladstone with credits.  Sometimes Gladstone will have the
old problem of a story arriving with the artist's name blotted out
again, although there's no rule that this must be done now.
      "Catman" was one such case, apparently.  Jose Colomer Fonts'
art is very similar to that of a certain Scalabroni, and unless
Gladstone is supplied with credits they can't say for sure who did
it.  (I had guessed it was Scalabroni, BTW.)  If I could find out
something concrete -- such as Scalabroni being an inker at Colomer's
studio -- I'd be very pleased.
      Still, now and then I'm surprised by how unwilling Gladstone is
to guess who did a story.  "A Case of Too Much Money" (US 291) was
clearly drawn by Vicar, but since it arrived at Gladstone without
credits, it was printed without them, too.

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>