Disney-comics digest #656.

Mike Pohjola mikep at freenet.hut.fi
Mon May 8 13:56:56 CEST 1995

	Funny.. Yesterday's mail here again :)

DON:

>        Thanks for all those Finnish ideas. When I actually start doing that
>cover, I'll need to rely on the editors or someone like you to help me
>choose a Finnish theme. I can't do it alone since this cover is supposed to
>seem "Finnish" to someone in Finland, not to ME. Even though I know easy
>stuff like where Finland is (that's more than 80% of Americans know about
>any country, including America), and I know they have reindeer and seals, I
>still don't know all the stuff that would seem most authentically "Finnish"
>to someone who lives there IN the culture and society. F'rinstance, the
>Finnish legends and folktales which may be known to every person in Finland,
>but which we in America (or perhaps even Sweden) have never had reason or
>opportunity to have heard of.

	Did I also mention sauna, the Finnish word for Finnish invention? I
think they're getting popular in the other world by now, but not everywhere do
people whack each others with birch branches.. Anyway, I'd be happy to help you
think (or even make a pencil sketch) of a good Finland cover. Could it just be
Don (as in Donald Duck) in Finland with maybe all the four seasons in the same
picture.
	Yes, I did understand the hardback will not have a Finland story, but
I thought you said something about "story set in Finland". I thought that
meant you were going to make a story where the Ducks adventure in Finland. Was
I wrong? Even if I was, the idea wouldn't be that bad. There are quite a lot
of many stories located in Arabian peninsula and around, but very few actually
taking place in Europe (the lemming story and Lillehammer gag are the only ones
I really can remember).
	So you're not coming to Finland soon, eh? Well, the main reason for
me asking this was because I wanted to make sure I could get your autograph
on the book. That would've been hard if you had left the country already when
the book came out. About the book again, are the first Lo$ stories going to
be in it?

JORGEN:

>> Umm, most Europeans know that Santa Claus live in Lapland at
>> Northern Finland in a place called Korvatunturi
>He does not. And his name is Julenissen!

	Check your files, man! Joulupukki damn right lives in Finland! And if
not, then what is your idea?

--

	Mike - The Finnish Trekkie